PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Button command

anik18
01-18-2009, 05:13 PM
Hi Guys,

I have made an example of Staff Roster. See attached file. Is it possible to make button command if i click any of employee's name. I was thinking how to make button command so that it should get dialog box what to do with this employee like how many absences he/she made or how many sick leave or presents or holidays leave or annual leave. Then finally they should answer again in dialog box or as Pop up box like 12 absences he made. What is other way how to check how many absences he/she made blah blah!!! It is hard to count with your eyes if there are multi sheets then what we will do????

Bob Phillips
01-18-2009, 05:40 PM
How about this

Option Explicit

Private Sub Workbook_SheetSelectionChange(ByVal sh As Object, ByVal Target As Range)
Const WS_RANGE As String = "A:A" '<== change to suit
Dim RowNum As Long
Dim RecLeave As Long
Dim PHLeave As Long
'and the others

On Error GoTo ws_exit
Application.EnableEvents = False

If Not Intersect(Target, sh.Range(WS_RANGE)) Is Nothing Then

With Target

If .Row > 10 Then

RecLeave = 0
PHLeave = 0
'and the others

For Each sh In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets

RowNum = 0
On Error Resume Next
RowNum = Application.Match(.Value, sh.Columns(1), 0)
On Error GoTo 0
If RowNum > 0 Then

RecLeave = RecLeave + Application.CountIf(sh.Rows(RowNum), "R")
PHLeave = PHLeave + Application.CountIf(sh.Rows(RowNum), "PH")
'and the others
End If
Next sh
End If

MsgBox "Tallies for " & .Value & ":" & vbNewLine & _
vbTab & "Recreation leave: " & RecLeave & vbNewLine & _
vbTab & "Public holiday: " & PHLeave & vbNewLine
'and the others
End With
End If

ws_exit:
Application.EnableEvents = True

End Sub

This is workbook event code.
To input this code, right click on the Excel icon on the worksheet
(or next to the File menu if you maximise your workbooks),
select View Code from the menu, and paste the code

anik18
01-18-2009, 06:48 PM
Thanks xlD for replying. What i am suppose to get from your codes. I copied this in worksheet1 and then compile it. It said nothing. No function and just only macros dialog box with no macro name. Could you please tell me what is this codes for. I am finding VBA difficult because i am a beginner to this.

Bob Phillips
01-19-2009, 01:20 AM
Select name on any sheet and see what happens. Then select another, and so on.

anik18
01-19-2009, 05:20 PM
I should select name in excel or VBA. I don't really understand what to do. Do i have to put code in sheets or modules. After that how to run it.

nst1107
01-19-2009, 11:26 PM
Here's what to do:
1.) Open your workbook.
2.) Open the Visual Basic Editor. (Right-click any sheet's tab and select "View Code".)
3.) On the left-hand side you should see the project explorer window. Double-click "ThisWorkbook" in that window. This will show you the code for the workbook.
4.) Paste xld's code in the declarations area (to the right of the project explorer--the big white space).
5.) Close the VBE.
6.) On any spreadsheet in your workbook, click a cell containing the name of one of the employees. (If such a cell is already selected, click a different employee's name.) The code will run then.

anik18
01-20-2009, 01:32 AM
Thanks man!!! I understood what you said. Great work.

anik18
02-07-2009, 04:31 AM
Hi, what about if i choose particular sheets like sheet1 and sheet2 only NOT sheet3. See attached file for example. How you will do that? I thought i will do like this. But doesn't seem to be right. msgbox "Sick leave" &Range ("A1") At this moment we made code on whole sheets see above xld helped us. Now i want code on particular sheets.

Thanking You

Bob Phillips
02-07-2009, 04:56 AM
What do you mean by choosing sheet1 or 2 but not 3. The example workbook expalins nothing.

anik18
02-07-2009, 06:04 PM
I mean how to make pop up dialog box for particular sheets like sheet1 only or sheet1 and sheet2. The code which you made above is only for whole sheets like total employee's duties, sick leaves,etc. Can you made code for particular sheets i like to choose.

mdmackillop
02-07-2009, 06:24 PM
You can use the sheet name to select different routines to be followed

Private Sub Workbook_SheetSelectionChange(ByVal sh As Object, ByVal Target As Range)
Dim RowNum As Long
Dim RecLeave As Long
Dim PHLeave As Long
'and the others

Select Case sh.Name
Case "Sheet1"
'do sheet 1 stuff

Case "Sheet2"
'do sheet 2 stuff

Case Else
'do other stuff
End Select

'etc.

anik18
02-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Hey, it is not working after compiling. No pop up dialog box. Can you attach the workbook again so that i will see what you did. Did you get anything after compiling?

Bob Phillips
02-08-2009, 03:13 AM
Option Explicit

Dim RowNum As Long
Dim RecLeave As Long
Dim PHLeave As Long
'and the others

On Error GoTo ws_exit

If sh.Name <> "Sheet3" Then

With Target

If .Row > 10 Then

RecLeave = 0
PHLeave = 0
'and the others

RowNum = 0
On Error Resume Next
On Error GoTo 0
If RowNum > 0 Then

'and the others
End If
Next sh
End If

'and the others
End With
End If
End If

ws_exit:

End Sub

anik18
02-08-2009, 04:56 AM
Hi xld, Thanks for help. The code is same as previous one above. If you run this code it will show pop dialog box for all worksheets info. But my another aim is to get pop up dialog box only for sheet1 information not all sheets OR pop dialog box for sheet1 and sheet2, etc whenever i like to choose. Is it possible to make like this? I tried myself, didn't work.

Bob Phillips
02-08-2009, 04:58 AM
That code is for all sheets except 3, and it shows the value for the sheet being changed, so no, I don't understand.

anik18
02-08-2009, 05:30 AM
The code is same as previous one above. If you run this code it will show pop dialog box for all worksheets info. But my another aim is to get pop up dialog box only for sheet1 information not all sheets OR pop dialog box for sheet1 and sheet2, etc whenever i like to choose. Is it possible to make like this? Is it possible to make everything together like finding for all sheets or finding for particular sheets. Like an option. I tried myself, didn't work. Sorry for changing comment.

anik18
02-08-2009, 05:33 AM
Ok! if you have made code for all except Sheet3 then why public holidays given are total of 4 which also include in sheet3. Otherwise it should be 3 not 4. Check it. Plz read my last comment above to know my aim.

Bob Phillips
02-08-2009, 06:25 AM
Perhaps this is what you want

Dim RowNum As Long
Dim RecLeave As Long
Dim PHLeave As Long
'and the others

On Error GoTo ws_exit

With Target

If .Row > 10 Then

RecLeave = 0
PHLeave = 0
'and the others

If sh.Name <> "Sheet3" Then

RowNum = 0
On Error Resume Next
On Error GoTo 0
If RowNum > 0 Then

'and the others
End If
End If
Next sh

'and the others
End If
End With
End If

ws_exit:

End Sub

anik18
02-08-2009, 02:21 PM
I think you are finding hard to understand what i am saying. I will explain you in simple meaning steps .

1) If I click any of employee name (see attached file for e.g.) and then a dialog box should say what you want to do.

2) On that dialog box there should be 3 options command. For e.g. Option 1command should say "Find employee's details for whole sheets" (e.g. of details are employee's number of duties, sick leave, public holidays,etc) for whole sheets" AND Option 2 should say "Find employee's details from Sheet of your own choice". Maybe i will click Sheet1 or Sheet2 seperate not together.

3) And Option 3 should say "Find employee's details from more than one sheet". For e.g. I will click Sheet1 and Sheet2 same time.

4) So there should be about 3 options in dialog box.

5) For Option 1 (e.g. "Find employee's details for whole sheets") i have already done see code above and try them from attached file and you will understand what i want.

6) I am looking forward to option 2 and option 3 codes.

This is what i want.

mikerickson
02-08-2009, 07:21 PM
If I could make one suggestion.
Selecting is integral to the normal working of a spreadsheet. Any routine triggered by the SelectionChange event will be called frequently, even if it is not desired.
The DoubleClick event offers finer control of when a routine is run.

anik18
02-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Oh my god! Please don't think I will understand what you said. It is quite complicated for me what you said. It is better for me to understand if you explain just like xld did. Is that right DoubleClick is command type which need to be write as code?

mikerickson
02-09-2009, 07:49 AM
I am suggesting to substitute this for the first line of the routine
Private Sub Workbook_SheetBeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Excel.Range, Cancel As Boolean)

Then the routine would be triggered by double-clicking rather than single clicking on a cell.

anik18
02-09-2009, 04:36 PM
Can you please read my comment again? See above before mikerickson (http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/member.php?u=10706)'s comment. Thanks mikerickson (http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/member.php?u=10706) for some help. I will try.

anik18
02-14-2009, 12:41 AM
Hey xld, I understood yours latest code. Is it possible to find user info only from sheet1. How to combine all codes together into one file. Sometimes I have to find user info for all sheets sometimes for one sheet. There should options button so that i can click whatever i like to choose. Hopefully you should understand.