PDA

View Full Version : Sleeper: Combining event handler and Activex control formatting

K. Georgiadis
03-24-2005, 01:24 PM
I have an Activex control (combo box) with the following code:

Private Sub cboPrice_Change()
Range("C2").Value = cboPrice.Value
End Sub

Because of a glitch in Excel SP3, control boxes jump to the left each time Print Preview is selected. The work around is to right click each control, select Format Control > Properties and then click "Move and size with cells."

The Macro recorder reports that the code for these formatting steps is:

Sub AnchorControl()
ActiveSheet.Shapes("cboPrice").Select
With Selection
.Placement = xlMoveAndSize
.PrintObject = True
End With
End Sub

Obviously, it would be just simple (in fact simpler) to format my four or five controls with a few mouse clicks but, in the interest of learning, wouldn't it be OK to include the formatting code in the event handler?

Paleo
03-24-2005, 05:02 PM
Hi K.,

why do you need a macro to do this?:think: why not by control properties?:think:

Ken Puls
03-24-2005, 05:10 PM
Hi there,

I guess you could do this (untested)

Private Sub cboPrice_Change()
With ActiveSheet.Shapes("cboPrice")
.Placement = xlMoveAndSize
.PrintObject = True
End With
Range("C2").Value = cboPrice.Value
End Sub

But I think that you would only need to set the control properties once, and that would be permanent, so why do it each time? :dunno

K. Georgiadis
03-24-2005, 05:34 PM
I'm going to give it a try, Ken.

Carlos, as I indicated in my original post, I do feel that it would be easier to simply right-click on the control and then got to Format Control>Properties. However, in the interest of higher learning :rotlaugh: I was wondering if I could add the code to the event handler.

Ken Puls
03-24-2005, 06:34 PM
Let us know how it works out! :yes

K. Georgiadis
03-24-2005, 09:17 PM
Strictly as a matter of ...academic interest, this code combining the event handler and control box formatting only works if

.PrintObject = True

is removed.

I'm going to be just as happy setting the formats manually in Excel!!