PDA

View Full Version : Building a data base from Real-Time Data

rici76
01-21-2009, 01:59 PM
Hi All,

I am new to this forum so I do not know how things are usually done around here (for example if I can just ask for help without having contributed anything)...

I'll give it a try anyway, here it goes...

What I am trying to do is download real-time data from Bloomberg and build a simple data base with those values being downloaded.

Prices (data) is being downloaded constantly but I would be happy if the prices are just copied into the database every 2 minutes for example. I would not need a very long data base, so it would be ideal to roll out older data and swap it for new one.

I hope my description makes some sense to you guys, but there is nothing better than an example to make things clearer...

So let's assume the prices are downloaded into cell D7:

Time 7:00 Price in D7: 120
Time 7:01 Price in D7:120.1
Time 7:02 Price in D7: 120.3 etc, etc....

now what I would like to have is a makro that takes that value at 7:00 and copies it into a database (Column), then at 7:01, 7:02 etc... until let's say 7:30 at which time the value for 7:00 is deleted and replaced with the value for 7:31 and so on...

Not sure if it made it clearer but I believe so....

Should anybody be willing and able to solve this problem but feels like he/she hasn't fully understood my explanation please feel free to ask any questions.

Many thanks in advance to all.

Cheers Rici

mdmackillop
01-21-2009, 02:39 PM
Hi Rici
Welcome to vbax
You can certainly ask for help; also check out the KB for possible solutions. Does this question here (http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17378) help?

rici76
01-22-2009, 03:25 AM
Cheers mate, but that coding business for me is like a foreign language (and I am not talking about a relative simple one like English).

It would help if you could direct me on what I should look for, as I am not quite sure how to formulate it in "technical" terms...

Many thanks once again.

Rici

rici76
01-22-2009, 07:51 AM
I have read this could be done with a Countdown timer... is this correct and does anybody have experience with that function?

Many thanks.

cyberjullian
03-30-2009, 04:11 PM
Hi Rici,

I'm working with Bloomberg as well. What are you trying to achieve exactly? If it's just real-time data you want, why don't you use a launchpad monitor in BB instead? Do you need the data to make a chart/graph?

Have you tried this :
Type a ticker in cell A1: VOD/ LN
Type this formula in cell A2: =BDP(A1, "LAST")

With this, you should be able to retrieve last price for Vodafone in real-time.

Hope this helps.

Julien

Kenneth Hobs
03-31-2009, 05:52 AM
It is unclear what you want. Your data is being inserted at intervals ok now I gather. Of that data, you want to copy it to another range to make a more formal database. The criteria for overwriting is unclear. Is it every 30 minutes?

Maybe if you posted a sample xls, it would detail more what you need.