PDA

View Full Version : Solved: OCR Suggestions

CreganTur
02-04-2009, 08:24 AM
I'm looking into automating a task for my employeer that would involve scanning documents and using an OCR program to pull demographics information off of the documents. I was wonderign if anyone had any suggestions of good OCR programs to look into. I've found a wealth of offerings via Google, but a word of mouth reccomendation could help me zero-in on a goo software candidate.

jfournier
02-04-2009, 01:17 PM
I've used Microsoft Office Document Imaging before to good effect, and the great part is that it's included with Office...

CreganTur
02-05-2009, 10:09 AM
MODI was an excellent suggestion, especially since it can be controlled via VBA!

So far I've created code that will perform an OCR operation on a scanned document, and return the results. Now I'm trying to develop the code to pull just the demographic information that I want.

stanl
02-11-2009, 03:06 PM
I just finished a short app that takes a scanned pdf document, converts to multi-page .tif and uses MODI to process the pages - not bad except for when it comes to reading barcodes, but then I found an exe you can use for free - eymbcrdcmd.exe - and a simple shell to it solved the problem.

If you get into a situation like that, give me a holler... Stan