PDA

View Full Version : Automate Data Entry with Excel

joeyc
02-16-2009, 05:39 PM
I have a series of databases that I update. It involves a lot of manual work. The problem is it takes time to do and I do a large number of these. And even if my data entry is 99% accurate, since I do such a high volume of work lots of errors still exist.

What if I had the data specially formatted in an Excel workbook, how difficult would it be to auto populate the database on screen (after I log in and go to the applicable page of course)???

Attached is a screenshot of a typical database I need to update. It just involves entering data.

Can anyone give some feedback on trying to do a project like this? I am trying to update a database I log in to with an open Excel workbook.

Jan Karel Pieterse
02-17-2009, 12:34 AM
You can automate INternet explorer from Excel, but it isn't easy to do, as it requires knowledge of the system that generates the data entry page.
The simplest way would probably be to use sendkeys to send keyboard keys to the internet explorer window.

You'd have to figure out what keys take you to the first box and determine the exact sequence to get you to the end and submit the entries.