PDA

View Full Version : Where to put the template?

Paul_Hossler
02-20-2009, 07:54 AM
Ref:

http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24888

Thanks to VBXers, I actually have Excel feeding data to Word's bookmarks.:clap:

The users will be getting a workbook and a DOTX file, but where should I tell them to put the template.:dunno

I can't put it in the same folder as the WB, because there's lots of different folders for different projects.

Only need the template is one place, because the DOCX will be created in the WB folder each time.

I'm also thinking about making the Excel part a template, and putting both in \Templates

Only problem is that 95% of the people don't even know templates exist

Comments / Suggestions???

Paul

Cosmo
02-20-2009, 08:14 AM
Will your Excel template have macros in it or will the macros be run from Word?

If the macros aren't in Excel, how about adding a macro to run when the document opens that will remove the code and save into the proper template directory? That way you just send them the Excel file, they open it, and it self-installs.

Paul_Hossler
02-20-2009, 08:28 AM
There will be macros in the Excel template or WB that take the user's Exced data, and eventually create a new Word doc based on the Word template, and then it fills in some bookmarks in the doc.

I was not even going to create any 'installation' code, only tell them "Copy the XLSM and the DOTX to the right folder, and in Excel when you go to File, New select the XLSM template from the list.

Paul