PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Random Access Crashes

Movian
02-20-2009, 12:06 PM
Hey,
after making some changes this morning to our access program we are now plagued by random access crashes

EG.
Faulting application MSACCESS.EXE, version 12.0.6211.1000, time stamp 0x46d4aa81, faulting module VBE6.DLL, version 6.5.10.24, time stamp 0x464105f1, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00012b02, process id 0x16b0, application start time 0x01c99389dc9b5ebe.

however the crashes are in parts of the program that are seemingly random (for example clicking on a drop down with no code related to it at all or even clicking the X in the top right of the screen can cause this) there is not much information regarding this in the event logs and was wandering if there was a good way to try and track down the issue.

as always thanks in advance :)

CreganTur
02-20-2009, 12:14 PM
If you have Vista, be sure that Application Experience Service is turned on. If another piece of software turns it off, then it can cause a similar problem.

Otherwise you can try:
-re-registering the VBE6.dll and any other dll's marked by error messages
-check for registry corruption
-run check disk to look for any failures

Good luck!

Movian
02-20-2009, 12:25 PM
thanks for the tips but the database is crashing on 2 diffrent machines. its probably one of the changes i made but there are so many that i need to have some method for tracking down the problem. or problems!!

essentially i go through and checked each piece as i wrote it and didn't find any problems. now its later and im coming back to review all the changes as a whole and that is when i found these problems....

bah

hansup
02-20-2009, 01:52 PM
thanks for the tips but the database is crashing on 2 diffrent machines. its probably one of the changes i made but there are so many that i need to have some method for tracking down the problem. or problems!!

essentially i go through and checked each piece as i wrote it and didn't find any problems. now its later and im coming back to review all the changes as a whole and that is when i found these problems....

bah
Have you already ruled out database corruption as the cause of your crashes? If not, you might try compact & repair, and decompile on a copy of your database.

Allen Browne has useful information on Access database corruption (prevention and repair):

http://allenbrowne.com/ser-47.html

http://allenbrowne.com/ser-25.html

Hans

Movian
02-20-2009, 02:45 PM
I have decompiled, compacted & repaired, pulled all objects into a new database through import feature. pulled all objects into the database through the saveastext feature. and am still having the problem....

/me cries

Movian
02-23-2009, 06:32 AM
after many hours i have tracked the problem down to some controls on a new tab i created on a sub form. When i delete the controls everything works fine.... the anoying thing is there is no code behind them, they are simply a number of checkboxes and several text boxes.... however when they exist the sub form seems to stop working completly.... i will have to look further into this and try to establish exactly what is causing the issue.

Movian
02-23-2009, 07:55 AM
well im guessing it was some form of corruption on the sub form that none of my previous steps was able to resolve. I created a new blank form then copied all controls over to the new form from the old. Then copied all the code from the old form to the new. Deleted the old form, rename the new form to the old forms name then compiled, compact and repaired and now everything appears to be working correctly :)