PDA

View Full Version : Help to Fix Program in Iraq for Troops

egraham-5105
02-28-2009, 02:04 AM
Hi. I need some help. A spreadsheet with lots of VBA I wrote over 2 years ago In Iraq while being deployed is no longer working. The current personnel trying to run it are giving me indications that the sheet is in a read-only state. They sent me the program and it works fine on my computer (Excel 2007). I originally wrote it in Excel 2000 and they are currently using Excel 2003. I can attach the file if you like but I'm not sure it matters...I've tried getting them to to a save as swap with an Old and New file but the program refuses. They are getting lots of Error 1004 and Error 70 pop-ups. I've attached some screen shots of what they are seeing...

Their latest reply is:

"The New Inventory program is Read Only, and when I try to Save As, it converts files, and doesn't save it, then when I access it - it doesn't open. It flags and saves the files as New Inventory XX.xlsm. It says that the file was created in a newer version of Excel, and can only save it on my older version as read-only. This doesn't explain however, why it worked before and then just stopped working. I am at a real loss here sir, can you possibly offer any insight into this situation?"

These Navy and Marine soldiers need my help. I'm 6,000 miles away and just want to get them back up and running. Can anyone help me? I can try to get some screen shots if that helps. I'm frankly amazed that the VBA script over the Excel spreadsheet has lasted as long as it has without issue, but they would like to use it for a bit more time and I would rather not be recalled there to fix it! Thank you in advance if you can help.

Bob Phillips
02-28-2009, 02:34 AM
I can't offer any insights immediately, but it might help to see the actual spreadsheet.

What I am not understanding is that, if they have Excel 2003, why is it saving as an xlsm (2007 type) file? Have you saved it and sent it back to them? Somewhere along the line it seems to have benn upgraded (sic!) to an Excel 2007 file, why and how did that happen?

Simon Lloyd
02-28-2009, 01:18 PM
After opening it on your computer (xl2007) click the Office button top left and choose SaveAs then select 97-2003 workbook, the workbook should then work fine!

Kenneth Hobs
02-28-2009, 02:25 PM
You need to also make sure that Sheet name Yard's C5 cell value is a valid folder name and it exists. You can use Dir() to determine that.