PDA

View Full Version : Unable to register/reference DLL

Hamond
03-02-2009, 10:50 AM
I recently installed an excel add-in that comes with a custom developed DLL for calculations, but every time I run the code from the add-in, it generates a run-time error 53: file not found zAz.dll.

The add-in works fine on my old PC which was I installed previously a few years ago, further investigation shows that the DLL file sits in my windows/system32 directory on my PC.

But when I try placing this file in the same location on my Laptop I am unable to load it in there. I’ve tried to register it manually based on storing it in another location using the regsvr32 command but I was unsuccessful with the message “the file was loaded but the DLL register server entry point was not found”

Is there anything I can do to get around registering the file in the windows/system32 folder to get it to work. Could I use code to open/reference/activate the file by placing it in another location (e.g. the folder where the addin is stored) before running the add-in? Or would I need the person who created the add-in to change the underlying code?

Hope someone can help.

Thanks,

Hamond

Sagy
03-02-2009, 12:52 PM
You might want to run depends (http://www.dependencywalker.com/) on the dll in question to see if one of its dependencies is missing on the new machine.

Hamond
03-03-2009, 09:08 AM
Hi

Thanks for the suggestion.

To be honest, I'm not really I don't know much about DLL files. However, I ran the DLL file in question through the application and it returns the following message:

Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in a delay-load dependent module.

Haven't got a clue what that means. I think essentially I have all necessary files to use the DLL except on the PC it works, the DLL was stored in the windows/32system directoary, whilst on my laptop I've stored the DLL in teh folder where the add-in sits. I am set up as a user on my laptop so cannot move the file to the systems file. I guess my question is there any way I can still get the application to work without having to bear security risks by placing it in the systems 32 folder?

Thanks,

Hamond

Hamond
03-06-2009, 12:46 PM
Hi,

I've managed to get hold of XLL file instead of DLL now so don't need to register it in windows/system32!

But I'm having problems activiating the XLL file. The file is stored in the same place as the add-in. Does it need to be registered for it to work/being called from the add-in?

When I install the XLL file as an additional add-in, although it appears checked in the add-in box, it functions are not being called by the main add-in programme as calcualtion in spreadsheets do not return any values.

Is there a way to register and create a reference to the XLL file as soon as you install the main add-in?

Does anyone know what the code would be?

Sorry I have not worked with DLLs or XLL files before so it's all very confusing!

Thanks,

Hamond