PDA

View Full Version : Phantom MsgBox

BackJack
03-04-2009, 05:48 PM
I have developed several subforms to a form that have msgbox alerts for the user's convenience. I noticed that when I start up the application again on another day, a phantom msgbox pops up. It is one of my msgboxes from the vba behind a subform that is not active...or at least I don't think it is. Could you give me some suggestions on where to look for the "trigger" that causes these phantom msgbox?

Kenneth Hobs
03-04-2009, 06:16 PM
Without the xls or code, there is not way for us to troubleshoot. MsgBox may have focus issues at times. A call to a userform with a textbox might be more reliable.

BackJack
03-05-2009, 07:37 AM
Kenneth,
Thanks for your response. I have an InitialForm that collects personal information like name, address, city state and zip. On that form there are checkboxes that call up subforms for seperate information like languages. A subform for Visual Basic, C/C++.C#, Java, Web Developement, PHP, Perl, etc. On each subform there are checkboxes showing experience. On one of the subforms there is a listbox where you enter the consulting groups you will work for. You can add or remove names at will. If you remove all, a msgbox appears alerting you that there are no names and the checkbox on the initial form will be unchecked.
On load of a new application without any developer information, those alert msgboxes show up. How would I keep them from showing at start up?

MaximS
03-05-2009, 08:04 AM
post the code otherwise is just guessing what's wrong.

Kenneth Hobs
03-05-2009, 08:05 AM
Not sure why they would show when you Open the file.

You can use this but be sure to set it to True at some point.
Application.EnableEvents = False

Of course without knowing what you are doing to trigger the problem, I can only guess.

BackJack
03-06-2009, 10:58 AM
Kenneth,
Thanks so much for looking at this issue. I am still faced with it, but have found a work around. It is not a solution, but the code is much larger than what I can post in a vba window. If I was sure where the phantom message boxes were triggered from I would include that code, but I am stumped on where they come from.
My thanks for being brave enough to help the novice!
-Jack-

mdmackillop
03-06-2009, 04:25 PM
You can attach a workbook using Manage Attachments in the Go Advanced reply section

BackJack
03-07-2009, 08:01 AM
My hat is off to Kenneth for trying to help out!

MDMACKILLOP you don't ever need to respond to any of my postings unless you are offering to help. It appears all you do is collect free code and critique everyone elses efforts without making a single effort yourself!

Kenneth, anytime I could help you...you've got it!

mdmackillop
03-07-2009, 08:54 AM
It is not a solution, but the code is much larger than what I can post in a vba window
You imply that you want to post code. I'm simply advising a new member (you), how it can be done.

lucas
03-07-2009, 09:09 AM
BackJack is banned, permanently.

lucas
03-07-2009, 09:29 AM
After following backjack to this thread and finding the same behavior I banned him. Malcolm has pointed out that he had posted in this thread before I intervened in the other thread and at Malcolm's request backjack is being given one last chance.

BackJack
03-09-2009, 08:08 AM
!

Aussiebear
03-09-2009, 02:16 PM
It would seem that a quite reasonable solution has been voluntarily arrived at, given that the OP has decided to retire from this forum. If ever there needed to be an example of poor contribution to a forum, then I believe that this would easily satisfy the criteria.

I would like to thank MD for his very even handed approach to this matter despite considerable antagonism from the OP.

On this basis I am closing this thread.