PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Problems with GetOpenFileName

MWE
03-04-2009, 08:51 PM
This is not really a VBA question, but perhaps someone has an idea about what might be going on.

I have been using GetOpenFileName for years without major problems. It still works as it is supposed to but recently I have encountered long delays navigating through directory structures using this procedure. A few months ago, navigation was virtually instantaneous. Now it often takes 20 seconds to move one level in a directory structure.

Any idea what might be going on. I am running the same opsys (Win XP Pro, SP3, the same security suite, etc., and have not added anything that should have added "file system checking". I have reconfigured my LAN and thought that might be the problem. But I turned off file sharing on a target drive and that had no impact on the delay problem.

Thanks

GTO
03-04-2009, 11:38 PM
Greetings MWE,

There's folks here lots brighter than yours truly, but here's what I'd be curious to:

Are the workbook's that are having this issue stored in a network drive on a LAN?
If yes, at the same time this starts happening, have you tried other things such as saving a workbook (to see if that operation is also slower than normal)?Mark

jolivanes
03-05-2009, 09:33 AM
I had the same problem but it cleared up after I deleted orphan drive names that were not part of the network anymore in explorer.
HTH
John

MWE
03-05-2009, 01:17 PM
Greetings MWE,

There's folks here lots brighter than yours truly, but here's what I'd be curious to:
Are the workbook's that are having this issue stored in a network drive on a LAN?
If yes, at the same time this starts happening, have you tried other things such as saving a workbook (to see if that operation is also slower than normal)?Markthanks for the reply. The workbooks are stored on the hard drive of my computer. Both the calling workbook and the target workbook are on the same partition.

MWE
03-05-2009, 01:21 PM
I had the same problem but it cleared up after I deleted orphan drive names that were not part of the network anymore in explorer.
HTH
Johnthanks; that makes a lot of sense. I deleted orphan drive names and the problem disappeared.