PDA

View Full Version : multiple keys

pdeshazier
03-10-2009, 08:20 AM
can't i set a multiple key ("index")?

OBP
03-10-2009, 08:29 AM
Pam, yes you can, if you are sure that you want to, emove any key that is there now.
select (highlight) the fields that you want as keysand click the Key Icon.

pdeshazier
03-10-2009, 08:56 AM
thanks, but when i do an unmatched query, it only lets me pick ONE field from each table.

Pam, yes you can, if you are sure that you want to, emove any key that is there now.
select (highlight) the fields that you want as keysand click the Key Icon.

OBP
03-10-2009, 09:06 AM
Sorry, I thought you meant in the Table.
Does the Table relationships have multiple Joins to multiple keys?

pdeshazier
03-10-2009, 09:07 AM
NO; that's over my head.... i did say table and apologize; meant query.

Sorry, I thought you meant in the Table.
Does the Table relationships have multiple Joins to multiple keys?

OBP
03-10-2009, 09:07 AM
Can you explain what the query needs to do?

pdeshazier
03-10-2009, 09:10 AM
from our chargemaster, i've downloaded a file which contains the procedure code in one column and the alt code in the next column; i scripted these into our health information system (meditech) from a spreadsheet supplied to me by the billing office. what i'm trying to do now is not only make sure i scripted all procedures (i've alreay done unmatched queries for that), but also that for each procedure, the correct alt code got scripted in. so, i'm trying to make the multi index be procedure, altcode

Can you explain what the query needs to do?

OBP
03-10-2009, 09:59 AM
Pam, you could create an extra field and combine the Procedure and the Altcode thus making a unique key field containing both elements.
If you do that for both tables you are comparing you should be able to do the unmatched query based on the new field as the match.

pdeshazier
03-10-2009, 10:46 AM
thanks. can i do this in access or will i need to combine them in excel and re import?

Pam, you could create an extra field and combine the Procedure and the Altcode thus making a unique key field containing both elements.
If you do that for both tables you are comparing you should be able to do the unmatched query based on the new field as the match.

OBP
03-10-2009, 11:02 AM
Pam, you can do it in access, create the field first and then create an Update Query updating the new Field put this in the Update to row.
[Procedure] & " " & [Altcode]

but using your actual field names in the square brackets, ensure that you use the same format for both tables for linking them later.