PDA

View Full Version : Find similar part #

Meatball
03-30-2009, 07:10 AM
Hello all,
I am trying to create a master parts list which will hold specific data about individual parts, i.e, decription, who we buy from, who is manufacturer, cost, etc.
When customers request parts they do not always write the part # the same, example-actual part # is J475--8, customer may write as J475/8, or J475-8, or J47 5/8, or J47 5-8 or.....you get the idea.
I am looking for a way to have the customers version matched to the version I have in my master list and retrieve the specific data for that part or find several of the closest matches (in case the customer gets numbers out of order, J457--8) and let me choose the one to be used or reject all until I can update the master list with the new part.
I do not have a preference of VBA or formula's but since not all of the customers parts will be on the master and sometimes I will not want to add to the master until the part can be researched I need a convenient way to replace only the customers part number and decription that I have info for and leave the rest as is.
Thanks to anybody who can help with this.

lucas
03-30-2009, 07:13 AM
Why not use data validation and they can choose from a dropdown which part they want?

Meatball
03-30-2009, 08:37 AM
As much as I have tried, the company does not seem interested in getting a real database yet so everything is in Excel. The customers do not have access to our server, they send us lists, which can be hundreds of parts long. A bit much for using your method I think but I will keep that in mind. Thanks