PDA

View Full Version : Change Drive Letter of Removable Storage

wagnet
04-06-2009, 12:10 PM
I need help getting started. Microsoft allows the user to change the drive letter for (removable) storage. Right-click on My Computer, select Manage, select Disk Management, right-click on desired Volume, select Change Drive Letter.

What is the VBA comand to accomplish the same thing (change drive letter from K to J for an attached media card)?

Kenneth Hobs
04-06-2009, 01:42 PM
Most networks administrators have it disabled so no code would help the common user.

wagnet
04-06-2009, 01:45 PM
Kenneth,

Most adminitrators have what disabled? I can manually change the drive letter for my media card. So, that part has not been disabled in any way.

Kenneth Hobs
04-06-2009, 02:03 PM
The feature that you "can" modify can not be modified by all.

It is most likely a registry modification. A google might find the key's path and values to set.

wagnet
04-06-2009, 02:07 PM
I've been Googling all day, on and off, but unable to come up with a match. :-( Thanks,

Kenneth Hobs
04-06-2009, 02:18 PM
I have some code but I will need to test it at home first.

wagnet
04-06-2009, 02:18 PM
My issue is similar to another Excel Post. We keep an active/passive thumb drive in our configuration. When we are connected locally to the network - the network drive is active (as K) and the thumb drive is passive (as L). When we are connected remotely to the network (via VPN) - the thumb drive becomes active (as K) and the remote network drive becomes mapped as J.

This process allow us to bypass some the the administrative overhead associated with directly accessing files on the remote network drive. When working remotely we save files to the thumb drive then copy the files back to the server when we return to the office and are connected directly to the LAN. The only reason we even have the network drive attached remotely is to copy files down to the thumb drive.

Yes, it may sound convoluted, but it is a huge time saver...in our environment.

What I am trying to accomplish is automating the re-mapping of all the drives. I already have the Unmap and Map stuff coded for the network drives. Now I just need the Change Drive Letter part for the local media storage.

I appreciate any help that can be provided.......

joms
04-06-2009, 08:46 PM
hi wagnet, take a look at this from MS site..

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307844

Bob Phillips
04-07-2009, 01:33 AM
I have code that you can use to invoke the Map Network Drive dialog, but that hardly seems more than doing it all manually to me.

wagnet
04-07-2009, 08:06 AM
Thanks to all. I read the MS Article identified above, but it only tells me what I already know...how to manually change the drive letter.

I still searching for an automated solution using VBA.