PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Help! Resolution Problems with a Form

Eric58132
04-07-2009, 06:40 AM
I designed an entry form for a database I manage and all of the people who have a 1024x768 resolution get an error upon open. I'd like to be able to say "just change your resolution to 1280x800", for example, but some of their laptops don't support a resolution this high. I've personally experimented with resolution changes on my own computer and can get the error / not get the error based upon what I choose. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this? The form IS large, but does that really matter?

OBP
04-07-2009, 09:27 AM
You don't normally get an error, usually you just have to "Scroll" offf the Screen to see it.
Is it in Pop-up or Modal mode?

Eric58132
04-07-2009, 09:31 AM
I have the form set to open immediately upon opening the database, unless you hold 'Shift. All of the scroll bars are enabled, but the user doesn't get a chance to begin to use them. The error comes right on open, and only for those with the low resolution.

OBP
04-07-2009, 09:37 AM
What does the Error message say?
If the form is open "Manually" do they get the same error message?

Eric58132
04-07-2009, 12:54 PM
OBP,

Thanks for your efforts today; everyone is in a seminar right now so that's why my responses have been sporadic. Upon opening the file, they get the error that says Access has encountered an error and needs to close; and a backup file is created. It happens even if the form is opened manually.

Here's one more interesting thing, which may prove of use in the investigation: I personally work on two screens, and run on a 1280x1024 resolution. If i change screen 1 to 1024x768 while leaving screen 2 on 1280x1024 while opening the file on screen 1, the form opens fine. Only when changing both to 1024x768 do I get the errors.

OBP
04-08-2009, 08:34 AM
That doesn't sound like an Actual Access problem more like the Operating System, maybe Screen Driver, not using Vista are you?

Eric58132
04-08-2009, 11:45 AM
No, we're all using the XP os. We all work on the same network so I'm assuming that we all have the most up to date screen drivers, although if those are different depending on computer version it could be the problem. If this IS the case, I am unlikely to be able to fix the issue from this end. What specifically about a form could be producing these errors? Do not worry about bring broad in your description, I can work through seeing how it applies to my form. Thank you for your help

CreganTur
04-13-2009, 05:23 AM
Would is be unreasonable to redesign your form to natively fit 1024x768, and then test to see what happens when you view it with the larger resolution? I know this is far from ideal, but designing for the smaller resolution may fix your problem.

Eric58132
04-13-2009, 10:54 AM
This ended up being exactly what I did, CreganTur. It was unfortunate and took me a while, but I eventually got things in working order. I still am unsure why the first form wouldn't display on computers with lower resolutions, but I guess I'll take the whole experience as a rookie mistake and a 'lesson learned'.