PDA

View Full Version : Advice: Creating a licensing method

Paleo
04-02-2005, 09:15 AM
Hi guys,

I will sell a workbook and need to limited to the minimum the number of users (I mean unauthorized users:thumb ) of it, so I would like suggestions on that.

My idea is to create a kinda registration module that when the workbook is first opened saves on registry its processor type, processor serial number, HD size, HD serial number, network card MAC, and memory available, converted to a string according to an algorithim. After that it will send this info to a webservice hosted at my site that will save this info in a database and return a code that will let the workbook run during a month.

If it was opened before it will check that data to the registry and if it matches will send it again.

If the webservice gets a different string from the computer it will advice me and send a code to close the workbook.

Any suggestions for better approach?

johnske
04-02-2005, 02:28 PM
Hi Carlos,

I don't think this is the best approach, it would be so easily done but we're starting to get into the field of 'spyware' and 'trojans' here so I won't even talk about it.

A more conventional approach is to look at some method of 'registering' it with a registration code.

As to your suggested method. What if the registered owner puts it on their "other" computer or their laptop - they've perhaps paid for something that can only be used on one particular PC? I don't think that would be very popular.

Regards,
John :hi:

Ken Puls
04-02-2005, 06:31 PM
I have some software which generates an activation code based on the Hard Drive ID. Unfortunately, due to a drive failure, I had to move it to a temporary drive, which required reactivation. Then my new drive came in, (this is a network environment) which required moving the data and reactivating it again.

The system seems to work, but these guys have a 24 hour customer support to give you an activation key immediately. It's still very frustrating though.

Having said that, I can think of nothing worse than having my software locked up because my ISP is having an issue...

I think you'll find that the consensus on this issue is that there is no unbreakable method to do this. If you want legal recourse, make a good EULA.

Zack Barresse
04-02-2005, 08:24 PM
You have 2003, yes? Use the new permissions feature. You'll need a database to store your user's information and such, or you can rent space from MS (I believe). That's the best way to go, imho. Or create your own database, do a link to it when opening, checking for user status and that, ensuring you use Strong arm tactics to *force enable* macros. But using VBA for such security measures begs for problems.

Paleo
04-03-2005, 07:52 AM
As to your suggested method. What if the registered owner puts it on their "other" computer or their laptop - they've perhaps paid for something that can only be used on one particular PC? I don't think that would be very popular.

Hi John, this is exactly what I want. I will sell it to run on ONLY one computer, so if you want to install it on your laptop, you must buy another license, also if you upgrade more than one item on your machine you must contact me to still have your software running.

Having said that, I can think of nothing worse than having my software locked up because my ISP is having an issue...

I think you'll find that the consensus on this issue is that there is no unbreakable method to do this. If you want legal recourse, make a good EULA.

Hi Ken,

thats why I will keep activated one month without having to connect and of course it will be writen at the EULA the user must access the net at least once a month. Its gonna be selled in Brazil and most people down here dont even read EULAs and they couldnt care less about then. Of course my method CAN be breaked but not by regular excel users.

You have 2003, yes? Use the new permissions feature. You'll need a database to store your user's information and such, or you can rent space from MS (I believe). That's the best way to go, imho. Or create your own database, do a link to it when opening, checking for user status and that, ensuring you use Strong arm tactics to *force enable* macros. But using VBA for such security measures begs for problems.

This approach attracts me very much by a large number of my users for this application dont use nor plan to migrate to 2003, they are still using 97, so I cant do this.

Paleo
04-04-2005, 09:20 AM
Any more suggestions? I am a little confused on what should I do so I thank any suggestion.

Ken Puls
04-04-2005, 09:31 AM
Hi Ken,

thats why I will keep activated one month without having to connect and of course it will be writen at the EULA the user must access the net at least once a month. Its gonna be selled in Brazil and most people down here dont even read EULAs and they couldnt care less about then.

Hi Carlos,

Not really the point, actually. I don't think many users actually do read the EULA. The point is that if you do find someone stealing your software, you have legal recourse to sue them. Just makes the job easier if you need to go there. ;)

Zack Barresse
04-04-2005, 09:55 AM
More information about "Information Rights Management (IRM) (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010721681033.aspx)".

Paleo
04-04-2005, 10:46 AM
Great guys, thanks!

Now I understood your point Ken, VERY IMPORTANT I agree.

Thanks Zack, I will check it out!

JonPeltier
04-05-2005, 08:19 PM
This isn't fancy, but it's more effective than I'd have imagined. This site has an example that writes the starting date to the registry, and after a preset number of days, it stops working. People seem to think that since I'm a professional programmer, and since my program tells them it's not going to work without paying me for the unlocked version, they'd better pay. Of course, corporate clients may not be so warez-aware....

http://www.andreavb.com/tip080006.html

Paleo
04-06-2005, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the tip Jon! I will use it too.