PDA

View Full Version : Database Question

sooty8
04-14-2009, 04:06 AM
Hi

I have used, viewed and read VBA Express many times especially looking for database answers -- I have used the KBase always on the lookout of how to set one up properly in Excel. Over the weekend Xld posed the following question when answering a query

Xld --I can. Do you want to go down a real database road?

Yes please and I'm sure many visitors to the site would like to go down this road and have an expert guide them in the right direction.

Many Thanks

Sooty8

Bob Phillips
04-14-2009, 08:06 AM
Bear with me mate, I am a tad busy at the moment, but I will follow this up shortly.

sooty8
04-14-2009, 08:54 AM
Hi Xld

Many thanks for your reply and whenever you have the time available - I'm ready to listen, read and learn.

Sooty8

sooty8
06-15-2009, 08:08 AM
Hi Xld

I posted the above a couple of months -- wondered if you have had a chance to show us all how an excel database should be set up properly

Regards

Sooty8

Bob Phillips
06-15-2009, 08:18 AM
Sooty8,

I was suggesting a real databse, not an Excel database. A database, created, maintained, and accessed from within Excel.

sooty8
06-15-2009, 09:01 AM
Hi Xld

Pardon my lack of knowledge are you suggesting using Access and updating it from within Excel?

If so I wouldn't want anything to do with Access -- In fact perhaps if I was brain dead I might I suppose use Access -- don't even have it installed on my system.

Many Thanks for your reply

Sooty8

Bob Phillips
06-15-2009, 09:59 AM
You don't need it installed, you can modify an mdb file from within Excel without ever going near Access, or even having a license.

Even if you had an Excel database I would recommmend the data being n a different workbook, so using a real database keeps it cleaner.

sooty8
06-15-2009, 11:37 AM
Hi Xld

Thanks for the info -- its getting to deep for me perhaps I'm better off sticking with my various different little UserForms for doing my bits & pieces and if I get stuck with anything I can always come back and ask all the brilliant experts on VBA Express.

Once again many thanks

Regards

Sooty8

Bob Phillips
06-15-2009, 01:24 PM
It is not simple, but not necessarily that difficult.

We can try it on a step by step basis, and just raise a flag if it gets too much.

Start by describing the data, we can create the database from that.