PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Comparing two fields in same Table & updating the third field

kbsudhir
04-14-2009, 05:07 AM
Hi All,

I want to know is it possible to compare two fields in the same table & update the same in the third field. :dunno

If yes, how to go about doing this.
If no, what alternate steps I can take.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Regards
Sudhir

Norie
04-14-2009, 05:35 AM
Sudhir

Sure it's possible, but why would you want to do it in the first place?

You shouldn't be doing calculations in tables, use queries instead.

kbsudhir
04-14-2009, 05:44 AM
Okay, but I need that results in a table. Is it possible to create a new table/update a already created table with the results of the query where

kbsudhir
04-14-2009, 05:49 AM
All I need to compare Field 3 with Field 2 to find which one is greater.
Ex. If Field 3 value is higher than Field 2 value then I should get a "Increase" in the corresponding filed in the query, if field 3 is lesser than filed 2 then "Decrease", if both are same then "Equal".

Then update them to a table.

CreganTur
04-14-2009, 06:07 AM
You can do this with a standard update query using an IIF (not a typo) statement. The IIF would look like:

IIF([Field 2] > [Field 3], "Decrease", "Increase")
This would go into the Update To section in Query Design view for the field you are wanting to update.

The syntax for IIF is IIF(Condition, True, False).

HTH:thumb

kbsudhir
04-14-2009, 06:30 AM
Thanks Randy,

I want to know how to update this to another table lets say Table 2

CreganTur
04-14-2009, 06:33 AM
Thanks Randy,

I want to know how to update this to another table lets say Table 2

Just create an update query that includes both tables- be sure you have a relationship setup so the primary key/foreign key relationships are intact. Then you just use an IIF like in the example above- you just need to declare tableName.fieldName correctly so there's no confusion for SQL.

kbsudhir
04-14-2009, 06:45 AM
I just want update all the results of this query to that table (Table2).
There is no relationship between both of them at all. & no primary key is required.

CreganTur
04-14-2009, 06:47 AM
I just want update all the results of this query to that table (Table2).
There is no relationship between both of them at all. & no primary key is required.

Then you do what I outlined previously, just ignoring the part about relationships.

kbsudhir
04-14-2009, 07:45 AM
Thanks, Its Done

Really appriciate your value help Randy & Norie
:bow: :bow:

Regards
Sudhir