PDA

View Full Version : Need Help W/Sort

OrphanBear
04-22-2009, 10:21 AM
Hi all,

I have a filtered worksheet that is protected. In the protection dialog box I seleced allow filter and sort. However, when I try to sort using the filter, I get the message that the worksheet is protected. What am I doing wrong? How can I maintain the protection while allowing both sort and filter options?? Thanks,

Thanks.

Bob Phillips
04-22-2009, 10:42 AM
I think you have to have the cells that you want to sort unlocked for that to work, that checkbox just makes the sort option available. Pretty dumb heh? It is probably simplest to create a macro that unprotects the sheet, sorts it, and protects it again.

OrphanBear
04-22-2009, 10:45 AM
Thanks XLD - I thought I was doing something wrong. I don't know how the user will sort though - ascending or descending - how would the macro accomadate that??

Bob Phillips
04-22-2009, 10:52 AM
I would add two custom buttons to a toolbar. one up one down and disable sort and the sort buttons (or even redirect the buttons to my macros).

OrphanBear
04-22-2009, 11:06 AM
Hmm, well, I was thinking maybe a worsheet_selectionchange even where if the header cell in the filtered column is selected, then the worksheet would unlock, and lock again at deselection. What to you think XLD, are there drawbacks to this. Many people will use this workbook so I can't place custom icons on my toolbar.

Bob Phillips
04-22-2009, 12:16 PM
The drawbacks are that your worksheet is unlocked for an indeterminate amount of time, so why bother locking it at all?

You can have custom buttons, the workbook can add them and remove them.