PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Access - New User Question

Pool Master
04-22-2009, 05:22 PM
Hi Everyone,

I've dabbled in Access 2003 in the past, but I may be starting a project in the next couple of weeks that would require some things I'm not sure that Access can handle. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could confirm that Access will work for such a need.

The plan would be to design a Userform with Access with tables that store the various options available in the userform. I know that this works for 1 person, but my concern is that multiple users (20+) may be using the userform at the same time (example noted below). Will Access allow these users to utilize the same Userform and output the selected results to the same master table? Even perhaps at the same time? Could this cause issues with table locks or performance degradation? Does the master table have to exist in the same db as the useform and the tables that populate the userform?

Example: Userform has multiple list boxes and options to choose from. User selects "Apple" from a list box, and selects a qty of 2 from a option button. The user will then execute the macro which will string their selections and store them in 1 row of a master table.

Thank you very much for your time and patience with this question!
Adam E.

DarkSprout
04-23-2009, 03:36 AM
Build a split database:
1 Database has the tables
the other has the User Forms and contains links to the back-end
via link tables.
You then distribute a copy of the User Form Database (The Front End) to each user.

Access can handle up to 50 users. (*added after CreganTur's comment*: That I've found stable!)

In the menu Tools --> Options, select the Advanced tab . and click:=
Default open mode= Shared
Default record locking= Edited record

CreganTur
04-23-2009, 05:46 AM
Default record locking= Edited record

This is really important, because it protects your records from collision errors. As soon as a user begins to edit a record, it becomes locked for editing to all other users. This means that only one person at a time can edit a record. This is a great thing!

Access can handle up to 50 users
Technically, the specs for Access are 255 concurrent users... but I don't know of anyone who uses Access for anywhere near that many users.