PDA

View Full Version : Update Links in multiple workbooks

bryVA
05-23-2009, 04:35 PM
Hello,

I am trying to write a macro that will update links in a master workbook. It refers to three workbooks in the same folder. Those three workbooks also link to three other workbooks. Every attempt at doing this max's out the memory as all these workbooks are very large. What is the best way to open the master workbook and it update all the workbooks that link to it and those that link to the other workbooks? It is like a tree. Master workbook is a final report the three work books that link into is a intermediate workbook that performs calculations from the workbooks that they are linked to which are pure data workbooks. This was done because of the amount of data that is needed to be filtered to create the final report.

I used the following code in when the workbook was open. But this maxed the system out.

Workbooks.Open FileNmae:= _

"C:\My Documents\LinkedBook1.xls", UpdateLinks:=xlUpdateLinksAlways
"C:\My Documents\LinkedBook2.xls", UpdateLinks:=xlUpdateLinksAlways
"C:\My Documents\LinkedBook3.xls", UpdateLinks:=xlUpdateLinksAlways

Thanks for all your help

GTO
05-24-2009, 04:59 AM
I have certainly never had to do this; thus - this suggestion may well be quite retarded...

As long as you know all members of the 'tree', could not you work from bottom to top?

Mark

bryVA
05-24-2009, 12:00 PM
Could I do that with code so I can start the process and it automatically go from the bottom to the top? I think they need to be done couple at a time because it maxes the system out. What is the best method to do this?