PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Too Many Styles!!

justme
04-08-2005, 08:36 AM
I received a document from one of the guys at work a few years ago and now we are updating the information. I saw there was a lot of styles defined, and deleted them all so I could create and name my own.

The problem I have is that any time I format a new style is defined and shows up as an available style. I only want styles I define to show up as available. I don't want bold to show up just because I happen to make one word bold.

What do I need to turn OFF?:motz2:

MOS MASTER
04-08-2005, 10:58 AM
I don't have a English version off Office so I'll try to guide you to the right setting.

There is a number off things that could be going on in you're Word.
One thing is that you manualy press Bold feature and you can read that back in the Styles dropdown (Toolbar) like: Normal + Bold (or something)

Showing of these formats can be removed bij going to Tools/Options/Edit/Track formatting (or something like that) (mine is the fifth checkbox om the second column)

Otherwise you could mean that the style gets updated to the font changes you made to text that was formated with a particular STYLE.

In that case "Automatic Update" of the style is properbly on. Go to the properties of the style en remove the check on the checkbox "Automatic Update".

Enjoy! :thumb

justme
04-08-2005, 11:05 AM
Your first thought was correct. I turned off track formatting and it is working (also the 5th checkbox down). Thanks so much. Have a good weekend.

MOS MASTER
04-08-2005, 11:08 AM
:beerchug: You're Welcome! (Ps..can you mark the topic solved?)

fumei
04-08-2005, 12:49 PM
I would like to point out that making one word bold is a misuse of styles. You should never do ANYTHING that changes a defined paragraph style. If you want to have one word bold, make a CHARACTER style - named, say, BOLDED. That way, you can use it anywhere, and it will take on the style of the paragraph, just bolded.

justme
04-08-2005, 12:55 PM
I wasn't trying to Gerry, the application was giving all sorts of NEW names as I was formatting the document. All is working well now.

fumei
04-08-2005, 01:01 PM
Yeah, it DOES give new names to any manual formatting. It is a silly way of doing it IMHO. You get this humungous dropdown list of every single manual format change a user has done. Dumb and annoying.

That is why I remove, as much as possible, the ability to even make any manual formatting for our documents. They use styles, paragraph styles, character styles, list styles and table styles. All font, font size, bolds, underlines, and paragraph format menus and shortcut keys are disabled.

MOS MASTER
04-09-2005, 11:06 AM
I would like to point out that making one word bold is a misuse of styles. You should never do ANYTHING that changes a defined paragraph style. If you want to have one word bold, make a CHARACTER style - named, say, BOLDED. That way, you can use it anywhere, and it will take on the style of the paragraph, just bolded.Hi Fumei, :D

I Agree Strict Formatting is always the way to go in general! :thumb (and easier to maintain)

It just seams the OP didn't want a long list of style-adds in the style drowpdown...that's what tracking formating does..so..;)

That is why I remove, as much as possible, the ability to even make any manual formatting for our documents. They use styles, paragraph styles, character styles, list styles and table styles. All font, font size, bolds, underlines, and paragraph format menus and shortcut keys are disabled.Hi, :D

Yeas that's a fool proof method of demanding good format's. (Real good for beginners in Word)

But that must have cost you a hell off a job to get that done...Been making my own Normal.dot a while a go with just that intention and it took me quit a while to make new menu's and get rid of the old ones...(disabeling all possible shortcut's was the most work)

Still wonder, if we can ever control word 100%....:p (but do we really wan't that)..

Enjoy!