PDA

View Full Version : Solved: How to copy tables and keep them separate

dorian
06-09-2009, 11:45 PM
I am using Word 2003.

I have multiple 1-page word files each with a table that practically fills the entire page. (basically, they are project status reports using the same format).

I am trying to copy all the tables into one master file (one table per page). Ideally, I am sorting these tables as I paste them so they are in order of their project number (one of the table cell values). I don't know the order until I open the file and access the table. I want to do insertion sorting, by looping though the tables already copied into the master file and inserting the new table between the appropriate tables (or insert in the beginning or append at the end - for the boundary cases).

I have the basic copy/paste down, but I can't get the second and subsequent tables to be their own individual tables. Instead they are added as additional rows to the first table pasted.

If I am inserting at the beginning of the tables, I can insert a break and at the top of the file and then paste the new table at the "new" top of the file (so the break lands between the first and second table).

Now, if I want to insert a table between these two, how do I paste "before" the second table without overwritting the second table or having the paste just add more rows to the second table???

Thanks,
- d

lucas
06-10-2009, 08:13 AM
Maybe by inserting your break after each table insertion?

fumei
06-10-2009, 08:43 AM
"if I want to insert a table between these two, how do I paste "before" the second table without overwritting the second table or having the paste just add more rows to the second table???"

Here is what I do to keep tables separate, but close to each other. Because you are correct. if you insert (or create) a table that is the next paragraph (or the previous paragraph) to an existing table, Word merges them.

Separate them with a specifc Style. Mine is called TableSep. Its font size is 1 pt, virtually invisible. But it is a separate paragraph, and therefore Word does NOT merge the tables.

So go to the start of the second table, move just before it, insert a single paragraph of this wee TableSep style, go just before that, insert the new table. Because it is separated by a real paragraph (although very very very small), Word will not merge the tables.

dorian
06-10-2009, 09:00 AM
Thanks Fumei, I'll give that a whirl...

dorian
06-11-2009, 11:00 AM
Thanks Fumei. That resolved my problem. The tip using TableSep of 1pt was perfect!

Not sure how to mark this thread as "solved"... hint please? I've only posted 3 times on this forum.

lucas
06-11-2009, 01:33 PM
Mark it solved using the thread tools at the top of the page.