PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Read only data in linked tables.

Marcster
06-10-2009, 12:28 PM
Hi people,

Have an Access database which i've got linked tables to a SQL Server.
My question is...

Are these linked tables 'Read Only'?.
So they do not alter the SQL Server Data.
If they are not Read Only, is there a way to make them read only?.

As I do not want to alter the data on ther SQL Server in any way.

Thanks.

heifler
06-10-2009, 12:48 PM
Your SQL Server administrator would be granting read or read/write permissions and would be able to let you know and possibly change these.
Bob

Marcster
06-10-2009, 12:57 PM
I'll ask the SQL Server admin.

I'm creating a program for users in Access to query the SQL Server for data.
They have read/write permissions on the server. So i want to make sure my program does not alter the underlying SQL Server data.

What about Pass-through queires?. Are they Read Only?.
In help, it says these type of queries run the query on the SQL Server not by first downloading the data into Access then running a query.

CreganTur
06-10-2009, 01:23 PM
If your admin can't/won't help you with this, then I would suggest using either DAO or ADO connections for your queries because you can specify them as read only as a part of the connection string and/or recordset object.

HTH:thumb

Marcster
06-10-2009, 01:34 PM
I've done some testing with ADO Recordsets. This will hold 600,000+ records though.

Been reading more about Pass-through queries.
Looking more into this.... is it possible to create these type of queries using VBA?. :dunno

Hmmm... will be good if possible.

Thinking a form that gets the Database name and SQL query string from user and then create a table to hold the results...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/288633

OBP
06-11-2009, 05:07 AM
You could "secure" the Access database and give Read Only rights to the users for the linked table.
Or You can "hide the database Objects (linked table) and set the Form's properties "Edit", "Add", "Delete" records to No.

Marcster
06-14-2009, 11:04 AM
By using SQL Specific Pass Through Query, the data returned is read only.
Going down this route to solve this.

Thanks all.

heifler
06-15-2009, 06:56 AM
Linked tables are not read only unless the tables they are linked to have that property setting or permission setting.