PDA

View Full Version : having problems with multiple users

ironj32
06-16-2009, 05:54 AM
i have an Access db that i have split into a front and back end. the back end is stored on a shared drive, and i have had each person (about 15 total) copy the front end onto their own computers. the Default Open Mode is set to "Shared", and Default Record Locking is set to "No Locks". with all of that said, we are still running into issues with getting an error message stating: "Could not use L:\..... .mdb; file already in use"

does anyone have any thoughts as to what could be the issue?

OBP
06-16-2009, 08:06 AM
The Record Locking should not be set to "No Locks".
I would look at the Folder properties of the shared drive.
Also look at putting the database back to one piece and test that on the shared drive.

CreganTur
06-16-2009, 08:35 AM
Splitting your backend and front end databases is a very good move!

You need to be sure that there is nothing in your front end code that can cause the backend to be opened exclusively.

ironj32
06-16-2009, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the replies!

I will admit that I'm pretty novice at this whole thing. I guess what would probably help is for me to know exactly what the different settings mean and the results they should have. Hopefully you can clue me in. I've made my assumptions below.

1. The Default Open Mode should equal "Shared", correct?
2. The Default Record Locking should be set to...???
a. No Locks - this should not lock anything, even if it's being edited, correct?
b. All Records - this should lock everything, even if it's NOT being edited?
c. Edited Records - this should only lock records that are currently being modified?

Movian
06-17-2009, 06:08 AM
Can i make a suggestion... ?

I personally have never had anything but problems using mapped drives (Im presuming L: is a mapped drive network location). I personally would use a complete location instead of a mapped driver (//machinename/sharename/filename.mdb) As i have found the performance of this method far superior to that of mapped drives and have found them to cause the most random of problems..

Question, what potential benefits are there from splitting to a front end back end design ?

I currently have the Front and back end as a single DB opened over the network. Last time i tried to move to a front end back end setup it actually SLOWED down the system....

(not trying to Hijack the thread here but it seemed on the right topic)