PDA

View Full Version : Custom Function Help Features

mattneub
06-17-2009, 04:39 PM
-Please excuse if this is already out there in the Knowlege Base, I could not locate-

One of the difficulties with user defined functions that I've found is that when they take multiple values it can be difficult to determine the order the values should be entered in, especially if sharing with co-workers.

The packaged functions come with handy yellow pop-up when you begin typing the function to allow the variables to be more easily determined (e.g. VLOOKUP with display VLOOKUP(lookup_value, table_array, col_index_num, [range_lookup]

Is there anyway to produce these using user defined functions? Working on some functions to calculate loan variables, and several input variables are required, outstanding balance, interest rate, etc. Is anyone aware of how the pop-up input variable logic works or where to code it for your functions?

JKwan
06-17-2009, 06:40 PM
I don't have Excel on this machine, so, if I remember correctly..... Once you finish typing your function and hit the "(", now you do "Control - Shift - a", this will give you the parameter list.

Bob Phillips
06-18-2009, 01:01 AM
Ctl-Shift-A will give you a list of the arguments, but better IMO is to use just Ctl-a. This throws up the Functions Argument dialog, which gives more and better info.

A very useful pair of shortcuts.