PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Pop up message removal

jolivanes
06-29-2009, 07:06 PM
I downloaded a file from one of the excel forums quite a while back. It should download financial information from Yahoo. I recently tried it but it did not work for me. I closed it and forgot about it but now when I open Excel, I get a warning that says the following:
http://ichart.finance.yahoo.com/table.csv?s=AEOS&a=9&b=23&c=2003&d etc etc.
If you are trying to open the file from your list of most recently used files, make sure that the file has not been renamed, moved, or deleted.
unquote
This is in Excel 2007.
How can I permanently remove this message? It is annoying to say the least.

Thanks and Regards.

John

tpoynton
06-29-2009, 07:34 PM
I dont think the suggested solutions would work for you as it is a web address, but this describes a possible cause related to the length of the file name...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/213983

jolivanes
06-29-2009, 09:10 PM
tpoynton.
Thank you for your reply.
I don't think it has to do with the file name as such. The filename is considerably shorter (see attached). The message that pops up is copied into attached workbook in the sheet called Data.
I have removed all the ticker symbols from this workbook and put two new symbols in in the hope that that would clear it. No such luck. That makes me think that it has to be stored somewhere in the program itself or somewhere in the registry. I'm not very keen to start digging in the registry unless I really have to. I have checked the "Get External Data" possibilities but with my limited knowledge could not find anything that stands out.
Hope someone can help with this.

Thanks again

Regards.

John

jolivanes
06-30-2009, 10:58 AM
Just in case someone has a similar problem.
I did go into the registry and went into the following:

HKEY_Current_User
Software
Microsoft
Office
Excel
Options

Here were two entries referring to the problem (I had to click on the exit button twice on the pop-up window)

I deleted them both

Opened Excel and no pop-up message anymore.

Hope it stays that way.

Regards

John