PDA

View Full Version : Fun with SQL Policy Manager Exported Results (XML)

craigwg
06-30-2009, 03:25 PM
Hi there,

I just recently discovered the SQL Policy Manager and its rocking my world. I used it to gather the versionstring and edition of 100 odd servers at my company. The problem is that there is no way to use the data unless I export it. My only choice is to export it as XML.

I have a basic understanding of XML. I have used Excel in the past to analyze raw XML in the past but it seems you have to have professional version and I have standard.

So, my question is this: What is your recommended method of viewing XML data generated from SQL? I opened it in Access, which worked, but was told there were import errors and my data is not present in the results. If I open Excel and File>>Open the XML file I am told the XML has errors and thus will not appear. What next? Dreamweaver? What are my options?

Impress me, fellow Forumites!

Craig

Bob Phillips
07-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Have you tried XML Notepad, it is a free download.

stanl
07-06-2009, 04:54 AM
If you can create a table with Policy Manager, you can open the table with ADO. Using ADO's save() method your data is persisted as XML. This can then be opened as a normal recordset with mspersist, or you can eliminate this step altogether and process the ADO recordset as you wish.

Otherwise post example xml. .02