PDA

View Full Version : Modules vanishing - bug?

Dr Fear
07-03-2009, 03:13 AM
Recently I've had two cases of all the VB code modules in a workbook "disappearing". That is, one day the workbook has 3 code modules, the next day it has none. The workbook is used by a lot of people (singly, it's not Shared) and not many of them are experts...

As far as I know, the only way to delete all the modules is to go into VB editor, project explorer, right click, deliberately select Remove, for each module - you can't even do it by right click on modules "folder", you have to do each one separately. Or I presume you could do it deliberately in VB code (never had cause to try it myself).

Anyway, that's a lot of malicious damage, if that's what it is ...

Is there something a user might be doing unintentionally that would have the same effect? Or is it just a known bug (workbook is on a server with some WinXP and some Win2000 users)? Didn't happen for 5 years, but then twice this month since some users moved to XP ... pure coincidence?

Thanks for any pointers
Simon

(I apologise in advance I cannot send a copy of the workbook as it contains very sensitive information, and I don't own the code myself. So I am just asking the question generically, not hoping for help with a bug in the missing modules.)

Bob Phillips
07-03-2009, 03:49 AM
I have only heard of modules, well all code, disappearing with 2007 when you save as .xlsx, not with earlier versions. You certainly can write code to remove them, but that needs trusted access.

GTO
07-03-2009, 04:12 AM
It's been a bit, so not perfect memory, but I have had Excel 2003 / XP goober a workbook and you get the "Excel has issues, will shut down, do you want to report?" dialog. When reopening, you get that pane to the left and the "rescued workbook" msg (I realize my quotes are not accurate). Upon saving either the wrong one (if more than one available) or I seem to recollect only one being available sometimes - all code has gone Poof (diisappeared).

I don't recall this happening except during development, so not sure if this is helpful, but maybe its possibly an innocent thing on the user's part?

Anyways, if not too many users, maybe ask if they got any funny msgs/crashes?

Just a thought,

Mark