PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Browser Problem (IE)

johnske
04-11-2005, 10:24 PM
Can anyone offer any help with this problem?

I've had IE5.5 installed for months and over the last few days it's developed problems.

First, I could either maximize or minimize it, but nothing in between.

Next, I couldn't click onto some links - everything sorta freezes. The links where it always froze were the links provided in emails and links given in posts. i.e. I can go to most forums and click onto threads, but if there's a link given in the thread (or 'more' in smilies) - it freezes....(All I get is an empty frame)

I tried 'repair' (no luck).
Uninstalled/reinstalled (no luck, although at one stage I got a message saying something like 'Firefox' {whatever that is} couldn't be found).
Uninstalled 5.5 and installed IE6 (no luck).

TIA
John

mark007
04-12-2005, 12:27 AM
Firefox is the latest Mozilla web browser - have youi installed that recently?

Have you tried downloading and installing IE6 SP1? I would also run a virus scan.

:)

johnske
04-12-2005, 12:45 AM
Firefox is the latest Mozilla web browser - have youi installed that recently?

Have you tried downloading and installing IE6 SP1? I would also run a virus scan.

:)

Hi Mark,

No, originally I had browser problems with IE6 (my O/S just doesn't like it) I tried a heap of other browsers many months ago but they had similar problems so I uninstalled them all. Eventually I found IE5.5 ran perfectly (up till now), that's why I'd like to restore 5.5 if it's possible...Could a part of firefox have latched itself into my system so that IE had become dependent on it for something?

This is giving me heapsa grief, cos there's lotsa things I simply cant do now. E.G. If I go to the kb I edit etc but can't use 'preview' at all :dunno . With links in posts I have to do a 'copy the shortcut' and paste it into my browser 'Address' window...:(

BTW. Since originally posting this I have cross-posted here > http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?p=2526224#post2526224

John

mark007
04-12-2005, 01:31 AM
Could a part of firefox have latched itself into my system so that IE had become dependent on it for something?

More likely the uninstall removed a shared component that IE relied on...did you get any questions about shared files on uninstall?
I always think that providing the option to delete is a bad idea on these uninstallers as Joe User is likely to delete files that may be needed elsewhere.

I would think if that was the case then a reinstall would have sorted it though...

What O/S are you on?

johnske
04-12-2005, 01:49 AM
More likely the uninstall removed a shared component that IE relied on...did you get any questions about shared files on uninstall?
I always think that providing the option to delete is a bad idea on these uninstallers as Joe User is likely to delete files that may be needed elsewhere.

I would think if that was the case then a reinstall would have sorted it though...

What O/S are you on?

No, there were no questions - 98SE

BTW did a search and found two Mozilla folders in "WINDOWS\Application Data" so I guess there must be some shared components?

John

mark007
04-12-2005, 01:53 AM
Ah, there's your problem, you need to upgrade to XP LOL

When exactly did the problem start? Straight after the uninstalls?

johnske
04-12-2005, 02:18 AM
Ah, there's your problem, you need to upgrade to XP LOL

When exactly did the problem start? Straight after the uninstalls?

No, it's strange - I got the Max/Min problem first and did a cupla 'Repair IE''s first, then the freezing problem crept in some time after that. Not sure exactly when cos as I said, it only does it on some links.

For example, if I click the email link in OE to return to this post I get another instance of OE appear (it then freezes), but if I click a link in a post I get a second instance of IE with no address in the address bar (it then freezes)