PDA

View Full Version : Access "SEARCHES vs. VBA?

mud2
07-05-2009, 12:19 PM
Since ACCESS presents insurmountable obstacles to users of canned searching routines, such as FINDFIRST, etc. I decided to program my own searches...sweeping through data using VBA. BUT, as usual...A Question:
Are the canned routines faster then bulling through with vba? Do they use sophisticated concepts such as "TREES"?

I shudder to think of going back 20 years and writing a search tree in C++ or VBA!

OBP
07-06-2009, 02:17 AM
I don't know the answer to your question, but from my own experiences with using VBA SQL Recordsets, Find, Search Queries and Filters you need a large number of records to detect much difference in the response times. I have found VBA SQL Recordsets, Queries and Filters slightly more reliable than Find.
You might find setting the Form filter via VBA the way to go, although it does require a reset button to view all records when you have finished searching.

heifler
07-08-2009, 02:06 PM
My approach has always been to find out what the most common searches are and then build a form structure on that. You can always add options to combo boxes and add more SQL strings to execute as the users ask for more.
The tough part is trying to keep a simple interface when the AND and OR operators become involved.

Bob Heifler
DailyAccessTips

CreganTur
07-13-2009, 01:50 PM
This also depends on what kind of searches you are doing.