PDA

View Full Version : Excel error ---------- please help

volabos
07-05-2009, 03:37 PM
Hi all, I got a peculiar problem with one of my excel sheet. Whenever I try to insert a row at that sheet, I get warning "To prevent possible loss of data, Microsoft office can not shift non-blank cells off the worksheet.............". I guess there are some objects near the bottom of my sheet which I could not find. Is it the case? Hence how can I find out that non-sense object?

Regards,

Bob Phillips
07-05-2009, 03:43 PM
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=211769
"Cannot shift objects off sheet" error message when you hide columns in Excel

volabos
07-05-2009, 04:31 PM
Thanks for this reply. However I could not find solution. Any other suggestion please?

stanleydgrom
07-05-2009, 05:13 PM
volabos,

If you can post your workbook, I will have a go at it.

Scroll down and see "Manage Attachments" (or click on "Go Advanced").

klutz
07-05-2009, 09:03 PM
Hi all, I got a peculiar problem with one of my excel sheet. Whenever I try to insert a row at that sheet, I get warning "To prevent possible loss of data, Microsoft office can not shift non-blank cells off the worksheet.............". I guess there are some objects near the bottom of my sheet which I could not find. Is it the case? Hence how can I find out that non-sense object?

Regards,

Hit Ctrl+End to select all of your data. If this takes you to blank cells then hit the up arrow key to find the last row with data. Once you know which is the last row then from that point select all the rows below that are blank and delete them and then highlight the complete worksheet, this should complete the deletion of all the blank rows and resets the worksheet.

Another method is selecting all your data copy/paste on another sheet. This is quicker...

Klutz....:friends:

Aussiebear
07-05-2009, 09:05 PM
What Bob has been alluding to is that this error occurs when you are trying to either insert or hide (Rows or Columns on a sheet which contains an object. If your worksheet contains Comments, Graphs,Drawing Shapes and or/Pictures then when you attempt to adjust your sheet by inserting or hiding rows or columns it will prompt Excel to show you an error message.
Be careful to particularily check for hidden object such as Cell comments.

rbrhodes
07-05-2009, 10:04 PM
Hi volabos,

Scroll down to the end of your data rows and select everything past that - Rows and Columns- hold down <Shift>, press <End> then down arrow. Still holding down <Shift> press <End> and right arrow. Edit menu /Clear/All. Then scroll to the end of your data columns and select everything again - Rows and Columns. Edit menu /Clear/All. Save the file.