PDA

View Full Version : Read only tables

Marcster
07-08-2009, 11:49 AM
Hi,

Does anyone know if linked tables to csv files and SQL server are read only?.
If not, how to make them read only?.

Also Pass-through queries read only?. (I think these are)...

Thanks,

Oorang
07-10-2009, 11:04 AM
Linked CSVs would be read only.
Linked SQL server tables would have the permissions of the account used. To control permissions simply modify the users permission on the SQL database.
Pass-through queries, you'd have to test (not where I can do it). But if they are, again, just update the users permissions on the table.

If you don't have the ability (or desire) to modify the permissions of a user, you can set up a user DSN that is read only or make it read-only via DSNless connection with a read-only string. Lastly you could just skip making a link altogether and use ADO behind the scenes so they don't have a chance to mess things up.

Does that help?

Marcster
07-11-2009, 02:25 AM
Thanks Aaron,

I don't want the data in the Access Database/Program to change/update the underlying data from the csv files or SQL Server tables.

I'll go down the ADO route as this seems the most safest.

CreganTur
07-13-2009, 01:42 PM
I'll go down the ADO route as this seems the most safest.

Just be sure you set the correct read-only property. Some don't realize that if you create a recordset off of a file, and then update or add to the recordset, you generally make those same changes to the file itself. If you're not aware of this, it could cause many headaches.

Marcster
07-14-2009, 11:00 AM
Good point Randy, noted.