PDA

View Full Version : Mutiple Access to a database

kbsudhir
07-09-2009, 07:28 AM
Hi All,

I have a database which is getting updated with all the mails which are coming into my Inbox.

I have form which provides various charts to analyze the data. & few controls which provides parameters to the quries which user wants to generate. The records are displayed in a subform.

All these queries are simple search or select queries. No query is updating/deleting any records as of now.

But still I am finding out when the form is open (I have changed the startup setting of my data bae to display the form by default) the macro from my outlook is not updating the database..

I have to close my database & run the macro in my outlook, now the database will be properly update.

How to fix this issue.

:dunno :dunno :help :help

Thanks
Sudhir

SoftwareMatt
07-09-2009, 07:47 AM
I have to close my database & run the macro in my outlook, now the database will be properly update.

What happens if you refresh the data on the form?

kbsudhir
07-09-2009, 07:58 AM
There only one refersh button that is for the charts. They update the analyses as per the updates done after the chart was created by requerying the query, That all.

SoftwareMatt
07-09-2009, 08:09 AM
Does the data appear in the tables i.e. if you look at the table that corresponds to the form are they out of sync?

OBP
07-09-2009, 08:09 AM
Are you opening the database in "Exclusive" mode?
Can you update the Table in a Closed version of the backend your database and then have a Timed update using TransferDatabase.
That way the other database would only be opened during the Transfer.

kbsudhir
07-09-2009, 08:30 AM
No, if the data is updated in the table & I click "Refresh Charts" the chart show the updated data.

OBP - Frankly, I do not know if I am opening the database in Exclusive mode. But due to this problem, I think I my database is getting opened in exclusive mode. How to stop this.

If I am not wrong, transfer database is updating another database that I am storing the same data twice. I have a space constraint & will not able to do so.

OBP
07-09-2009, 08:56 AM
The Transfer database can be used in "Import" mode to import the data from the database that Outlook updates.
That database can run a query every morning to delete the records in it's table.
To test if your current database is opened in Exclusive mode use Access to open it twice. The second time should fail.

kbsudhir
07-09-2009, 09:07 AM
Well it has opened twice no error was displayed. At least the database is not openingin "Exclusive mode".

Is is posssible for me to see how many users are accessing the database. As I want only three (including myself) should be able to update the tables.

But I should be the only one to delete or make any changes in the design of the form or create new queries.

Then can we queue the update requets to the table. Ex All new requets are being updated to the database & I am alo trying to update a previuos record from the form. Now there will be a clash either the outlook updates will happen or from the form. Lets some kind of FIFO method..??

OBP
07-09-2009, 09:19 AM
To know how many users are in the database you can look in the .ldb with word or wordpad.
To prevent other users from updating data you need to secure the database and that could give your Outlook Macro a problem, it will have to have a login incorporated in it's macro.
I don't know how you can Queue the Outlook Updates as they are being controlled by outlook not Access.
You could look at running the Outlook macro from Access, then you could freeze it while you are doing your work on the table.

kbsudhir
07-09-2009, 09:25 AM
ok,

Can't we atleast get to know how many people are accessing the database using some kind of code in the database itself instead of open .ldp in the word or notepad...???

OBP
07-09-2009, 09:37 AM
Not that I know of, I use Secured databases in your circumstances so you can tell who is logged in.

kbsudhir
07-09-2009, 09:58 AM
Secured databases is one where we use login id & passswords. Am I right..??

Then I can't use this.