PDA

View Full Version : File Details - Need correct syntax

bdsii
07-16-2009, 11:05 AM
I am trying to find a listing somewhere of the syntax for retrieving information on files in a folder. I am using Vista and there are many details that could be available and be used if I knew how to access them to pull in the data to an excel spreadsheet.

I have found a few examples below but would like a comprehensive listing. Since I am new to all this I am having difficulty even searching the web or on this forum for what I am looking for. :dunno

Can someone point me toward a listing of these ? Thanks for any help you can provide! :yes

Examples I have so far:
Fil.Name
Fil.DateLastAccessed
Fil.DateLastModified
Fil.DateCreated
Fil.Type
Fil.Size

Bob Phillips
07-16-2009, 11:28 AM
Look for

builtindocumentproperties

in VBA help

bdsii
07-16-2009, 12:10 PM
Thanks....I found the list but it does not appear I can use the names listed exactly in the fil.* statement. For example, I don't think I can use the "fil.Creation Date" in my code. Is there a way to know the proper syntax for using those names listed ?

Also, I noticed there are a lot of details available to view in the folders not listed. Is that because you are not able to include them in the fil.* format to retrieve the data ? Below are a few details showing in the folder that are not listed. Are they examples of details that you cannot use in the "fil. " statement?
Owner
Copyrite
Keywords
Bitrate
Protected
Genre

Any help is appreciated!

Bob Phillips
07-16-2009, 12:48 PM
What is fil?

bdsii
07-16-2009, 01:00 PM
I was referring to the statement in the code snippet below. It is part of a macro that gets file details and returns them to an excel sheet. The original code was developed by brettdj but they only used a few of the available details. I was hoping to figure out how to call the other details that are available in a folder for a file. I am not able to post a link to the code but it is in a KB article authored by brettdj.

X(i, 1) = oFolder.Path
X(i, 2) = Fil.Name
X(i, 3) = Fil.DateLastAccessed
X(i, 4) = Fil.DateLastModified
X(i, 5) = Fil.DateCreated
X(i, 6) = Fil.Type
X(i, 7) = Fil.Size

Any ideas how to use the other details in the "Fil. " statement ?

Bob Phillips
07-16-2009, 02:02 PM
So presumably Fil is the file collection of a FilesystemObject folder? I suggest that you google Filesystemobject Folder properties then, that should throw you up a list.

mdmackillop
07-17-2009, 12:35 AM
I'm guessing these are media file types. BuiltIn DocumentProperties is basically an Office method. I think you'll need to investigate the particular file type you are working with. If you could provide the file type, perhaps someone here will know.

GTO
07-17-2009, 12:52 AM
... I am not able to post a link to the code but it is in a KB article authored by brettdj.

X(i, 1) = oFolder.Path
X(i, 2) = Fil.Name
X(i, 3) = Fil.DateLastAccessed
X(i, 4) = Fil.DateLastModified
X(i, 5) = Fil.DateCreated
X(i, 6) = Fil.Type
X(i, 7) = Fil.Size

Any ideas how to use the other details in the "Fil. " statement ?

Hi bdsii,

I believe you can post a link after 5 posts, but could be wrong. This appears to be from your other thread at:
http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27636

and brettdj's kb article was:
http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26569

Mark