PDA

View Full Version : Mail Merge--different connections of Access in Single Word File

rose
07-21-2009, 11:21 PM
I have created a Mail Merge File in Word. I have to give 8 different type of letters to different recipients from different tables of Access. My database is in Microsoft Access 2007. The problem is that i have to create separate word files for each type of letter and make mail merge connection with Access.

Is this possible that can I put all the 08 different letters in 08 pages in one single Word file and establish separate table/database connection individually for individual letters in 08 individual pages of word, so that all the letters reside in one single file to manage the records easily

OBP
07-22-2009, 03:07 AM
rose, welcome to the Forum.
First of all I have to admit I don't know Word merging and maybe your question should have been on the Word forum, but please don't repeat it on there.
Unless you intend sending 8 letters to every recipient what you propose does not sound correct.
It sounds like you should have 8 separate Word Doc Letters in one Folder with each one having its own Access Query to merge with. That way the recipients can all be in one table with an indicator to say which type of letter they need that can be used in the query to "pick" the right ones.
If you want to merge directly with the recipient table I think you will need 8 tables.

rose
07-22-2009, 09:47 PM
Thanks. Let me clarify. I have a Word file in which page1 to page 8 contains different type of letters. I have Access 2007 file which contains 08 different tables. The problem is that I will have to create 08 word files and establish a connection with each and every table separately. For every different letters there are different recipients from each of 08 tables. Suppose for Page 1 establish connection with Access (table 1). For Page 2 establish connection with Access (table 2). This is possible in separate word files. But what I want is that in a single word file in Page 1 create Mail Merge connection with Table 1 and For page 2 create mail merge connection with table2 and so on till page 8. I hope this may clarify you.

OBP
07-23-2009, 04:14 AM
This seems to be a Word problem rather than an Access one, I would suggest you ask the Moderators to move this to the Word Forum.

CreganTur
07-23-2009, 08:01 AM
Is this possible that can I put all the 08 different letters in 08 pages in one single Word file and establish separate table/database connection individually for individual letters in 08 individual pages of word, so that all the letters reside in one single file to manage the records easily

Trying to create multiple connections to Access for a single file isn't the best fit for what you're trying to accomplish. Instead, I suggest creating a single query in Access that pulls data from all the fields you need. If your mail-merge fields in your word document are setup correctly, meaning unique field names in every letter, then you won't have any problems with your data.

Now, if you have overlapping field names, then you'll need to rework your word document. Meaning, if Letter1 has a "Bubba" field that corresponds to Table1, but Letter2 also has a "Bubba" field that is completely different than Letter1, then you need to change on of the field names so the right information goes to the right letter.

HTH:thumb

Hello Rose, welcome to the forum- it's always good to see new members!

rose
07-24-2009, 12:04 AM
OK. Thanks all of you. To be straight forward I would just request you to tell me that is the above possible to merge different tables in different letters in different pages. The Field is repeated in different tables which contains records that can be duplicated so I do not want to take risk and merge in single query. If required Administrator please move this to Word forum.