PDA

View Full Version : Case Seenssivity and Option Compare...BINARY!

mud2
07-30-2009, 09:03 AM
A few weeks ago I asked for help because my string searches were not case sensitive. I received several useful suggestions...all with strcomp.
If you set up your searches in a MODULE and use OPTION COMPARE BINARY in the declarations section of the module, then simple comparisons..."Owen" = "oWen" will be case sensitive (= FALSE). otherwise, will = TRUE!
Some other incomprehensible restrictions may apply!

Calling a query with a "condition" from the OPTION COMPARE BINARY module will NOT work! As far as I can see (not very far), the programmong must be in the module!

hansup
07-30-2009, 11:09 AM
A few weeks ago I asked for help because my string searches were not case sensitive. I received several useful suggestions...all with strcomp. If you're interested in other approaches, you could compare the hexadecimal equivalents of your strings. Microsoft has a Knowledgebase article which describes several methods to evaluate strings case-sensitively:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244693

If you set up your searches in a MODULE and use OPTION COMPARE BINARY in the declarations section of the module, then simple comparisons..."Owen" = "oWen" will be case sensitive (= FALSE). otherwise, will = TRUE!
Some other incomprehensible restrictions may apply!

Calling a query with a "condition" from the OPTION COMPARE BINARY module will NOT work! As far as I can see (not very far), the programmong must be in the module!I think that's true, Mud. Did you have a question?