PDA

View Full Version : Word (2003) resetting reference to workgroup template, causing compile error.

Crooz
08-04-2009, 06:22 AM
Hi all,
I’ve had a recurring problem at work for several years and can’t find a solution. In another forum way back in July 2005, someone had offered a possible solution. It didn’t work.

Application info:
Windows XP, Word 2003

Problem:
I maintain a few hundred Word documents for several departments at a university. These documents are all referenced to a workgroup template (located on a network directory) that processes information from a database and inserts address (and such) information into the document. Sporadically a reference to the workgroup template will be reset to a temp file e.g. ~wrc00003.tmp which is saved and stored on the local C: drive. Obviously the next person that tries to open that same file receives a “Compile error in hidden module” warning.
So, wanting to correct the problem, I open the VBA editor and remove the missing reference and replace it with the correct one. I compile the project, save it, close the document and reopen it only to find that the reference has been again reset to a .tmp file.:banghead: Tried a gazillion times all day yesterday to try and rectify the problem, but no luck. I have tried just about everything I could: reboot the PC (2x); used a clean Normal.dot; searched the internet and Microsoft Support extensively. All to no avail.

Does anybody know what causes this and the solution to the problem? I really would appreciate any feedback.

Crooz

lucas
08-04-2009, 08:25 AM
Stabbing in the dark here but you mention Normal.dot. What are you using it for. It could be corrupt.

Another thing, are you absolutly sure the document exists where you are resetting the reference?

Crooz
08-04-2009, 11:47 PM
Stabbing in the dark here but you mention Normal.dot. What are you using it for. It could be corrupt.Not the case. Have the same situation even on other PC's. Each having their own Normal.dot.

Another thing, are you absolutly sure the document exists where you are resetting the reference?Positive.

geekgirlau
08-06-2009, 10:10 PM
Does the reference to the workgroup template use a drive letter or the full UNC path? You may have some users who are mapped using a different drive letter.

Crooz
08-07-2009, 12:12 AM
The reference uses the full UNC path.
Everyone using the workgroup template are using the correct (drive letter) path or else my macros wouldn't work. It's just that this happens sporadically. And funny enough, the day that it happens and you try everything to correct the problem, the following day you set the reference and all is well again. I don't get it.