PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Click&Type fields

M-a-d-m-a-n
04-15-2005, 12:52 AM
I a small template I use some click&type fields (just a link to a non-existing macrobutton) >
{macrobutton blabla text here}

The problem is the user now cannot see the difference between normal text and these click&type fields.

Easy question: How can I highlight these fields so users can see where they are?? I can of course colour them, but if they actually click&type there, the new text also gets that colour, and they don't want that.

Anne Troy
04-15-2005, 06:38 AM
Tools-->Options-->View tab.
Turn Field codes to ALWAYS.

YOu can create a macro and place it in the Document_Open and/or Document_New if you want to force them being turned on for the user when they use this document. Of course, they have to enable macros for it to work.

fumei
04-15-2005, 07:05 AM
Could you elaborate on "click & type" fields?

Anne Troy
04-15-2005, 07:13 AM
He's using macrobuttons, Gerry. Just like the ones MS uses in their Fax templates and such (File-New...)

MOS MASTER
04-15-2005, 09:17 AM
Hi,

The answer off Dreamboat is the right answer to you're questione. One major disadvantage (Depends on you're view) off this method is that ALL the fields in the document will be highlighted!

I to am a true lover off Macrobuttons but I just have a special format in witch I write them. On both sides of the help text I put these comparison signs: "<< text >>"

So the button looks like this:
{ MACROBUTTON NOMACRO <<Klik en type naam>>}

{ MACROBUTTON NOMACRO <<Click and type name>>}

If you tell you're users these buttons are always written in this Format then that could also be a simple sollution..

I guess it's just a question of prefference..:thumb

M-a-d-m-a-n
04-19-2005, 02:17 AM
If I use the show field codes option, I get to see {[ MACROBUTTON etcetcetc }. I just want to see them normally, but in a way that users know that they're there.

Any other options??

Anne Troy
04-19-2005, 08:18 AM
Tools-->Options-->View tab.
Turn Field codes shading to ALWAYS.

MOS MASTER
04-19-2005, 11:49 AM
If I use the show field codes option, I get to see {[ MACROBUTTON etcetcetc }. I just want to see them normally, but in a way that users know that they're there.

Any other options??
Hi, :D

Dreamboat's tip does exactly that. And mine does to in a different way...

Perhaps I'm not reading between the lines here...(but are you perhaps saying that users are not suppose to see the underlying field codes?)

Enjoy! :thumb

M-a-d-m-a-n
04-19-2005, 10:46 PM
Bingo!! It was the shading option (Arcering in Dutch).

thx guys

fumei
04-24-2005, 01:27 AM
Depending on what version you are using, but ActiveX command buttons are WAY better than using MACROBUTTON fields. Easier to add images to them, easier to get at more events, easier to change their properties, just plain easier all round. I never use MACROBUTTON any more.

As for "click and type" - if I understand correctly, and it is for capturing user entered text, shrug...use FormFields.

MOS MASTER
04-24-2005, 06:50 AM
Hi Gerry, :D

ActiveX do have a lot more options but if you don't need any macro's in you're document then you will get stuck with the security macro warning that you realy don't want...just because you are using these tools. (don't like that to much)

Personly I love the macrobuttons (NoMacro) for it's a simple sollution to point users on what there suppost to do in that perticular sentence..(And when selected you're overwritting the macrobutton field...that I do like)

Yes Formfields have a lot of neat helping feature but yet again you have to protect the document to make them work ... or the section there in...

It's a good thing word has so many feature to keep al of us happy because there sure are a lot of options...:rofl:

Anne Troy
04-24-2005, 07:36 AM
Hey, Gerry. :)

If you see my instructions for "easy guided forms" at http://www.theofficeexperts.com/word.htm, you'll see that the Macrobutton is used--not for a macro--but to guide the user to fill in a couple of areas of the document WITHOUT being nearly as restrictive as form fields, which restrict formatting and all that other stuff. When the macrobuttons are shaded, the user sees them more easily...like a prompt to fill out a certain area (when all shading is gone, all areas have been completed because click and type wipes the macrobutton field out entirely).

M-a-d-m-a-n
04-24-2005, 11:11 PM
You're absolutely right Dreamboat. Most of my templates use protection and formfields, but in certain templates, you just don't want that.