PDA

View Full Version : Extract lines of Excel data to individual tables and insert figures

RECrerar
08-12-2009, 08:34 AM
Hi,

I'm looking for the best way to progress with my project before I start coding it. There are a lot of points to the work that I am trying to solve. I am not at this point looking for detailed explanations about how to do it, but more general pointers in the right direction. I have experience with Excel VBA but am very new to Macros in Word.

Basically the project is to populate and appendix for a document based on data stored in an Excel spreadsheet and figures that are not from Excel, but which can be identified by their file names that are stored in the spreadsheet.

The spreadsheet contains a variable number of rows of data, what I need to do is:

Use the text in column B to create a 'title' to the section - this is not really a title, just text in bold.
Look up the figure names (two for each data row) and insert the appropriate figures both on the same line - they will need to be resized.
Add figure captions based on text on the spreadsheet
Insert/Populate a very small table (headings and 1 row) with the spreadsheet data. If possible the data in the tables should be linked to the Excel sheet, but this is not strickly necessary
Repeat for each row in the spreadsheet
Repeat possibly for multiple spreadsheets.So the question is really where to start? If anyone could point me is vaguely the right direction to start tackling this it would be appreciated.

This thread (not the same question) has an attachement showing a noddy example of what I am tryin to achieve http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27994

Thanks, Robyn

RECrerar
08-12-2009, 09:18 AM
I guess the main point is, that I am not trying to create several documents of a similar format, for which I could create a master template with bookmarks and maybe use a mail merge, but instead am creating one, very long document with an unknown number of repeated sections.

Is it possible to do a main merge type thing but all into one document? How about creating bookmarks on the fly? Or can you use a standard template several times within a document?

I'm just kinda brain dumping here and would like to know what is and isn't possible.

Thanks