PDA

View Full Version : Solved: VBA lookup to insert value into cell.

D_Rennie
08-14-2009, 07:45 PM
Hello gurus.

I have a question that requires a lookup function.

There is column E. with the forumular from E6 Down =IF(C6="","",IF(C6<=SUMIF(Sheet1!A:A,A6,Sheet1!D:D),"Yes","No"))
This does the lookup to see it im trying to take out more items that i have in stock. If im trying to take out more that i have No is placed into the Cell.
The problem that im having using this is. I want to keep the yes or no value that is placed into that cell even after the amounts are changed in "sheet1" so that prity much says that i cant use the formular and have to use VBa.
Also have a condtional format that will highlight a row if cell E6 is no and date is between now and 10 days ago.
=AND($E6="No",TODAY()<$D6+10)
This just shows that that item needs to go on a backorder asap.

The reason that i want to keep the original yes or no and that cell to not change after updating data on "sheet1" is i can tell how many times a item had to go in backorder in a timeperiodl.

I can upload a example workbook. There is alot of other interaction with these two sheets that may or maynot be problematic, so if you are intrested in looking at the original workbook shoot me a pm and i will email it.
If what i havce wrote doesnt make sence. let me know and ill try to explain again.

Thankyou.

Simon Lloyd
08-15-2009, 05:24 AM
Im not sure what you are after, or why you would want the value to remain static as thats the whole point of a formula to show different results, however if you want the cell to remain "No" when it finally reaches no then right click the sheet tab you are working with and paste this:Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
If Not Intersect(Target, Range("A1:A100")) Is Nothing Then
If Target.Value="No" Then
Target=Target.value
End If
End If
End Sub

EDIT: Dont forget to change the range that you are working with!

Bob Phillips
08-15-2009, 05:28 AM
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
Const WS_RANGE As String = "C:C" '<== change to suit

On Error GoTo ws_exit
Application.EnableEvents = False

If Not Intersect(Target, Me.Range(WS_RANGE)) Is Nothing Then

With Target

If .Value = "" Then

.Offset(0, 2).Value = ""
ElseIf .Value <= Application.SumIf(Worksheets("Sheet1").Columns("A"), .Offset(0, -2).Value, Worksheets("Sheet1").Columns("D")) Then

.Offset(0, 2).Value = "Yes"
Else

.Offset(0, 2).Value = "No"
End If
End With
End If

ws_exit:
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

This is worksheet event code, which means that it needs to be
placed in the appropriate worksheet code module, not a standard
code module. To do this, right-click on the sheet tab, select
the View Code option from the menu, and paste the code in.

Simon Lloyd
08-15-2009, 09:12 AM
Lol, Bob, i guess you must have looked at the attachment, i didn't have time this morning!

Bob Phillips
08-15-2009, 09:20 AM
I don't work on a Saturday!

D_Rennie
08-15-2009, 05:46 PM
Thankyou both for the help.

I done a little work on the file last night and think im going to change the whole approach to this.
Ill try both approaches and see what i like the best.
ill update soon
If anyone want to work on sunday there is a issue about this project the has bugged me since day one. its not a easy fix and needs the orignal file, so if anyone wants to jump onboard and take a look let me know.

if i explain it now everyone will jump overboard & close the thread.

thanks again

Simon Lloyd
08-16-2009, 12:58 AM
Thankyou both for the help.

I done a little work on the file last night and think im going to change the whole approach to this.
Ill try both approaches and see what i like the best.
ill update soon
If anyone want to work on sunday there is a issue about this project the has bugged me since day one. its not a easy fix and needs the orignal file, so if anyone wants to jump onboard and take a look let me know.

if i explain it now everyone will jump overboard & close the thread.

thanks againNothing ventured nothing gained!, anyway for a seperate issue please start a new thread.

You should go with xld's code as he has taken the time to look at your example and provide a tailored answer :)

rbrhodes
08-16-2009, 02:10 AM
Well I work some Sunday's...Post the file or pm me about the new thread and I'll look at it