PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Networking Question

Eric58132
08-17-2009, 08:34 AM
This one might not even be worth trying, but I figured I would ask.

My company is spread across many states, and I manage a database that is used within these states. The server that my DB resides on is in NYC, and it runs very slowly for the people in Massachusetts. There is a huge table of data, and then several complex queries are run to populate the forms which are worked on.

My question is: Is it possible to put the same databases on servers in both states, and then link the main table between the two so that they update eachother in live time?

CreganTur
08-17-2009, 01:37 PM
There are 2 pieces of information I can provide on this... a simple one, and a more complex one.

Simple: If you know what data your users will need, you could always have your first process copy the data from your server into a local table that the user can work with. Then, when they're done, have their local table send updates back into the server.

Complex: You need to look into the differences between Client and Server side processing... and as a part of that I suggest you also look at Transaction processing. There are many good resources on the net that deal with these subjects much better than I can.

HTH:thumb

Eric58132
08-18-2009, 08:15 AM
Thank you for the suggestions, Cregan. I spoke with some network administrators and they said it would be very slow to live-link the tables so it looks like I'm going to have to go with suggestion 1. I might even make it more primitive, and build update queries to do it manually. The fear is file corruption, so a manual effort is probably the best way to avoid such things.