PDA

View Full Version : Digital signatures gets removed on a shared workbook

oana
09-15-2009, 10:58 AM
Hi,

My workbook has a macro to open to a specific sheet, everytime it is opened. I installed a certificate with it, so the message about macro security will not show up everytime we open the document. The problem is when the certificate is being discard when some users save the workbook, or just use it. I am not sure when it happens, because sometimes someone will make changes and save the workbook, but the certificate will be still there. Are there any way I can protected the certificate to be removed from the workbook?

Thank you,

Oana

Jan Karel Pieterse
09-15-2009, 11:03 PM
1. Never, ever share Excel workbooks. You're heading for disaster sooner or later (workbook corruption, loss of data integrity, work not being saved,...)
2. That being said: put a password on the VBA code and set it to be hidden, that should prevent people form accidentally changing the code.

IrishCharm
09-16-2009, 08:28 AM
Or if you are sharing it with people who have NO idea of excel - set their macro security level to low which automatically enables all macros upon opening so that a certificate need not be run.

Jan Karel Pieterse
09-16-2009, 09:45 AM
I think setting macro security to low is NOT is a good idea.

oana
09-16-2009, 09:47 AM
The spreadsheet is shared in a network and used mostly for reading, but sometimes users needs to make changes. They do not change the VBA code, or they do not remove the certificate, it just does it when they just save the changes they made to the document.
If I set macros at low, will not put their computer at risk, if they get emails with other macros? I think that will be the easiest way to resolve this problem, but I did not know about the security.

Thanks

oana
09-16-2009, 09:56 AM
Oh, the VBA code is locked, so even myself can not see or change the code. I think I may have done it when I create it. I guess I can leave the document in the network where everybody can see it, and not actually shared it, but I think when I did that, people could not use it in the same time. I don't know if it makes a difference.
Anyway if someone has any sugestion how I can set my workbook to open to the first sheet, and not get the macros warning everytime. Maybe if it is a way without adding a macro.

Thanks again

Oana

Jan Karel Pieterse
09-16-2009, 10:33 PM
oana: maybe you can unshare the workbook, but save it with "readonly recommended" checked. If anyone opens the file, they must choose whether or not to open readonly.
If they choose to open in edit mode, subsequent users will get the normal "File.xls is locked for editing by username" dialog.

As for opening in a specific sheet: I know of no other way than by using a bit of VBA.