PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED:] Converting a database from Excel to Access

Shaolin
04-19-2005, 11:40 AM
I may have to learn how to do this in the near future. Is there a program that I must download? Any sites that tell you how to do this? Any other basic stuff?

austenr
04-19-2005, 01:43 PM
I would think that you could just import it into ACCESS. File>Get External Data. Unless you are trying to do something more complicated.

OBP
04-20-2005, 01:16 AM
As austenr says you just open Access, create a new blank database, Use the File>Get External Data>Import and just follow the wizard's instructions.
If you do not get it right the first time just delete the database, open a new one and have another go.

TheAntiGates
04-20-2005, 09:43 AM
You can also link an .MDB table to an .XLS spreadsheet(range). [At least now with the Office03 versions,]Contrary to the Microsoft Deproductivity Standards Department policy, it's dynamic - they've "done this right" - so you don't have to worry about which of the two is open, or which one was opened first, etc., and incredibly never presents you with Microsoft's famous useless error messages as such. The .MDB table uses what is open, and if not open, goes to the disk.

This method is good if you have an ongoing need to communicate Excel data to Access - for example to use Access' Reporting. A good use of this is when new cycles of data come in to you through Excel (e.g. a client or branch office emails in an .XLS), as your one-time setup of the linking will continue to work (assuming no structure/format changes, etc.). You might just copy a new .XLS file over the old [linked] one.

Enjoy it while you can. Count on another version release or two before they discover their nonerror and farkle it up :devil:

Any sites that tell you how to do this?comprehensive vba source for Access to/from Excel (ADO, DAO):
http://www.erlandsendata.no/english/index.php?t=envbadac

You may find that ADO is stupider, more awkward and difficult to implement and maintain than DAO, but ADO is a newer format. There is the distinct possibility that Microsoft may at some point gleefully discontinue DAO support because DAO is too user-(i.e. developer-)friendly, and ADO better fits the Microsoft mindset.

Shaolin
04-20-2005, 07:09 PM
thanks a lot people!