PDA

View Full Version : Excel chart in PowerPoint

chungtinhlak
09-30-2009, 11:46 AM
Hello all, I have many charts in Excel that I link to Powerpoint. I set it to manual update so I can go in and do a activepresentation.refreshall or right click on the chart and go with update link option. However, my chart(object) resizes from time to time. It takes a long time to resize these charts to look good in ppt, is it an excel setting that i set or is there anything that i can do to prevent charts from resizing on update?

thanks

Dr.K
09-30-2009, 12:50 PM
The problem is that the objects you see in PowerPoint are NOT Excel Objects; they are Microsoft Office Objects. Therefore, each time you refresh, the Excel Object has to be translated.

In my experience, the only way to reliably maintain Excel formatting when trasnfering to PowerPoint is to paste in the Worksheet/Chart object AS A PICTURE. Windows Metafile, to be specific.

Just use 'Paste Special', and 'Enhanced Windows Metafile', as follows

'Paste picture object into PowerPoint
Set ppPic = ActSlide.Shapes.PasteSpecial(ppPasteEnhancedMetafile)

'Adjust Picture position
ppPic.Left = (ppp.SlideMaster.Width - ppPic.Width) / 2
ppPic.Top = 84.75

Set ppPic = Nothing

Since you have been updating FROM PowerPoint, this may not be what you want. However, this is the only method that consistently works for me.

chungtinhlak
09-30-2009, 01:03 PM
Thanks, but I have to many and these requires daily update. Anyone else have any other ideas?

Bob Phillips
09-30-2009, 01:09 PM
Write a macro to copy it over.