PDA

View Full Version : Can’t Find Project on Library . . .

Cyberdude
10-05-2009, 12:25 PM
Gawd, I hope one of you guys can help me put life back into my Excel system. I have no idea what caused this to start happening, but now every time I execute a macro (seems like any macro) I get an error message like:
“Compile error. Can’t find project or library”, “Missing Personal.xls”, or “Missing ATPVBAEN.xla”. I looked at my list of references and if the file name is there, it’s written like: “Missing: Personal.xls” or “Missing: ATPVBAEN.xla” or both.

Both of these files reside at:
“C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OFFICE11\XLSTART\Personal”.
I had a backup copy of Personal which I substituted for the old Personal, but that was no help. Because I have a large number of shared macros on Personal, I cannot use Excel until I can get it to load.

Both files are resident at the place that Excel expects them to be, so why can’t Excel load them?? Note that IF I see either of these files in the Reference list, it has “Missing” preceding it. So a fix does not include putting a check mark in the little box next to the name. It almost sounds like Excel is looking in a different place now for those files.

I would REALLY appreciate your help on this one. All my business activities revolve around Excel, so now I’m dead in the water!
Sid

Oorang
10-05-2009, 12:56 PM
Try unchecking the reference, closing out of the reference window. Then open the reference window back up and instead of checking those entries (if they still exist), use the browse window to manually browse to the files then click ok. Then do debug>compile.

Bob Phillips
10-05-2009, 03:26 PM
You probably don't need to reference them at all, normally unchecking the MISSING items is all that is required.

Cyberdude
10-05-2009, 05:13 PM
Unchecking was one of the first things I did, and that didn't work. I've been fooling around and it's starting to work better . . . still getting some messages at startup, but subsequent openings of other workbooks has been clean.
I did discover that ATPVBAEN.xla is located at:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\Library\Analysis\ATPVBAEN.xla
I hadn't seen that before. I also have a copy in
". . . OFFICE11\XLSTART\ATPVBAEN.xla" I'm not sure yet which one is being used.
How does Excel know where to look? Is there a list of locations somewhere? I did a Google on the messages, and I found that this problem at one time was pretty common, but nothing showed up for recent experience. It was particularly bothersome in the conversion to Windows XP. Other files were involved then.

Thanx a lot for giving it some thought.
Sid

Bob Phillips
10-06-2009, 01:15 AM
Look at

Application.StartupPath

in the immeditae window.

Cyberdude
10-07-2009, 07:35 PM
Sorry, but I don't know how to do that (sigh).

mdmackillop
10-07-2009, 11:57 PM
or try

MsgBox Application.StartupPath

Bob Phillips
10-09-2009, 03:56 AM
Sorry, but I don't know how to do that (sigh).

The immediate window - Ctrl-G in the VBIDE.