PDA

View Full Version : Orginization chart and rows with form fields

rob0923
10-06-2009, 08:12 AM
Hi,

I have an unusual job that I am doing. That require a few different steps I really don't know where to begin.

This projet requires three steps. One is a organization chart that I was hoping to make automatic by using form fields to enter the information and transfer it to the correct areas The problem being is the branching, if anyone has a link to get me started it would be much appreciated.

The second being is I have a text box that I would like to insert a picture into, I was going to be using a msoFilePicker to grab that object, but not sure how to paste the selected object into the textbox.

The 3rd being is I need to create forms, but this I will need to allow the user to add rows with a macro because the document will be protected. So it will not only need to allow the user to add rows to a bottom if each specific table, but also add form text fields the new row.

Thanks in advance for your help!

fumei
10-06-2009, 02:24 PM
This is a big project and you will need to work through it in reasonable chunks.

RE: org chart. Have you used the Organization charting function of Word before? It is not conducive to code well.

I can not help you with #2, as I despise textboxes. I am pretty sure someone else here may be able to help.

RE: #3. have you asked this elsewhere? It can be done, but you need to be very very specific and explicit as to precisely what you want to happen. If the document is protected for forms, and you require structural changes (like adding rows) you first need to unprotect. Then add the rows, then explicitly add formfields. Do NOT - repeat NOT - copy formfields. It is a bad idea.

You do not state how the users is to give the information (how many rows???). A userform? Questions in text in the document? Existing checkboxes?

In short, your post is about too many questions, and not close to enough details needed to answer any of them.

rob0923
10-07-2009, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the response.

I think I'll just place a section break and let the user manually enter the organization chart manually. For the forms I would like to have a plus and minus (images buttons) that a user will press on each table. This will add row after the last row, or delete/take away the last row in that specific table.

I would also need to add a new form text field in each cell that the row contains.

Regarding the textbox. I would need to keeo this textbox because it sits just behind the organization chart.

fumei
10-08-2009, 10:20 AM
"Regarding the textbox. I would need to keeo this textbox because it sits just behind the organization chart."

Bleeech. One of the reasons I dislike them, but I admit that is quite definitely a personal prejudice.

Putting the Section break, and letting them do the org chart may be a good idea. However, again, have to used Word's organization charting feature?

"For the forms I would like to have a plus and minus (images buttons) that a user will press on each table. "

So these are going to be ActiveX controls (via the Controls toolbar)?