PDA

View Full Version : is it possible to do screen tips without hyperlinks

RoadDog83
10-15-2009, 09:33 AM
i want to be able to hover over a cell and have it display what the 2 letters in it represent.

like for example DP the screen tip would say "Down Payment"

so is it possible? i know it can be done with hyperlinks but i dont want to link it to anything. and i dont want to link it to that specific cell either incase i sort the spreadsheet that hyperlink would then be incorrect.

JP2112
10-15-2009, 10:12 AM
How about comments?

Right click the cell, choose "Insert Comment".

RoadDog83
10-15-2009, 10:18 AM
is there any other way? i dont really wanna go the comment route

JP2112
10-15-2009, 11:43 AM
Only way I know of. It would be nice if you could use some form of Tooltip (like when you hover over a toolbar button).

You could always make the suggestion at http://www.makeofficebetter.com or http://blogs.msdn.com/excel/

--JP

p45cal
10-15-2009, 03:20 PM
but i dont want to link it to anything. and i dont want to link it to that specific cell either in case i sort the spreadsheet that hyperlink would then be incorrect.
you can link it to a named range (I've called it 'justme' below) and have that named range redefined to be the current cell each time the selection is changed with this in the Thisworkbook code module:
Private Sub Workbook_SheetSelectionChange(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Range)
Application.Names.Add "justme", RefersTo:="=" & ActiveSheet.Name & "!" & ActiveCell.Address
End Sub (Put the text you want to pop up, in the Screen Tip of the hyperlink)
To deal with it being a bit disconcerting if the user switches sheets and clicks straight onto a hyperlink instead of just hovering over it, the following code could be placed in the sheet code module wherever there are such hyperlinks:
Private Sub Worksheet_FollowHyperlink(ByVal Target As Hyperlink)
Application.Goto Target.Range
End Sub
Sorting the cells doesn't matter - all behaves as you'd expect. It might be even better if you use Application.screenupdating=false?