PDA

View Full Version : Converting Word To PDF using Distiller

jazzyt2u
10-29-2009, 07:56 PM
Hi,
How do I convert a word doc to PDF and close it or convert without opening the PDF file until I'm ready to review it. I am using Professional and I have the distiller.

Thanks,
Jazzyt2u

macropod
10-30-2009, 02:33 AM
Hi Jazzyt2u,

With the PDF driver selected, goto File|Print|Properties > Adobe PDF Settings and uncheck the 'View Adobe PDF Results' option.

jazzyt2u
10-30-2009, 09:09 AM
Thank you. I still don't know the code to put into the macro to make the Word document save as a PDF doc.

macropod
10-30-2009, 03:41 PM
Hi Jazzyt2u,

The vba process for this isn't trivial:

First, you need to test whether the Adobe print driver is installed. You can base you code for that on:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q166008

Then, provided it's installed, you need to activate that 'printer'.

Finally, you'd probably need to call the File|Print Dialog (Application.Dialogs(wdDialogFilePrint)) and use Sendkeys to get into the properties tab and uncheck the 'View Adobe PDF Results' option. The problem with using Sendkeys is that it relies on a particular arrangement of the tabs & properties order in the Adobe Print Properties dialogue (which is liable to change from one version to the next) and it seems a bit unreliable in Word 2007.

geekgirlau
11-05-2009, 09:05 PM
There are a number of 3rd party products available, and I would suggest that you check them out. As macropod has stated, it's not an easy option from vba and is very version dependent.