PDA

View Full Version : Excel Creating an Email Error

bryVA
10-30-2009, 01:50 PM
Hello all,

I have an excel userform commandbutton that when clicked it is suppose to open an outlook email and input some information from the userform. It works one computer but when I have someone else run it for me theres comes up with a run-time error '429' activex component can't create object.

Why does this do that on one computer and the other it doesn't. Is there a setting in outlook that one has the other doesn't? I have been using this for the last couple of months and 50 other people have used it as well and it worked just fine but now there are three people that it will not work for and I am at a loss to why.

Thanks for all your help,

Bryan

MWE
10-30-2009, 01:56 PM
a few obvious things to check:

same versions of Excel and Outlook?
similar ActiveX implementations
similar references to dlls?

bryVA
10-30-2009, 01:59 PM
We are all on Excel 2000 and Outlook 2003.

What do you mean similar ActiveX implementations? Excel is using ActiveX but that doesn't change based on the individual using it does it?

They should all have similar references to dlls.

Could it be an outlook setting?

MWE
10-31-2009, 07:43 AM
We are all on Excel 2000 and Outlook 2003.

What do you mean similar ActiveX implementations? Excel is using ActiveX but that doesn't change based on the individual using it does it?
One of the problems I have encountered (presently I have four PCs and a few others where I help the owners now and then) is keeping versions of MS Office and WinXX aligned. This is particularly true when you have custom appls (written in VBA or other prog langs). Each update runs the risk of some change that will impact something unexpected. I ran Office2000 at SP1 for years because of the problems I encountered with SP2 and SP3. A large fraction of the updates are security related and attempt to close holes previously unnoticed. MS did a lot of security tightening in ol over the years. ActiveX is a common security problem area. So, it would not surprise me to discover that the 3 people who are having problems with your procs might be on different versions or revs of Office products. Did the procedure ever work for them?

They should all have similar references to dlls.
It might be worth checking that the references are the same and the versions of the dlls are the same.

Could it be an outlook setting?
Possibily. Can you be more precise as to when the error occurs. It sounds like it is when Excel attempts to create the ol object? Do any of these 3 computers have problems creating other appl objects?